Days 4-6 Himeville and Underberg!


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » KwaZulu-Natal
July 26th 2010
Published: July 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Unloading the container Unloading the container Unloading the container

After a delay in customs, the container finally arrives at the Forde dairy farm. The team unloaded it in record time... 1 hour 15 minutes!
July 21st.. received another update from Jenna on days 4-6. I'm going to include the rest of the photos I have. I will hopefully have another e-mail to post soon!

"Day four, first full day in Himeville/Underberg. We got a late start to the day, seeing as how there was no container to unload. We made it to the gallery for some pottery/art/gift purchases, went grocery shopping, hung out at the grind (when I sent the first update), and enjoyed a nice dinner with the Forde family (who are gracious enough to host the supplies in a newly laser alarmed storage container).

Day 5 was hopefully going to be unloading day but, because of delays in customs, Ellen, Barb, Carson, James & Nick went up Sani Pass to Lesotho. It was a gorgeous day for it. Curtis made a delicious meal of chili for dinner which simmered during the afternoon. I was sent to Heidi for a relaxing massage (it was delicious), and read for a lot of the day. We received news that the container would arrive at 7 in te morning so we headed to our rooms at North End (for the ladies) and Inchgarth (for the
Pens and Composition BooksPens and Composition BooksPens and Composition Books

The older learners receive pens and composition books.
guys).

Today, day 6, has started well. The container was here early, we unloaded in record time, and now we're eating quickly before heading to two close-by schools for distribution before (hopefully) Dancing Pencils & literacy groups tonight.

Love to all!

JOY!
Jenna"


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Travel Team Attire...Travel Team Attire...
Travel Team Attire...

Dressing in layers is mandatory... frosty cold mornings give way to warm sunny afternoons.. we think Jenna looks charming!
Thanks Generation Joy!Thanks Generation Joy!
Thanks Generation Joy!

A school room full of happy learners poses with a Gen Joy banner for a photo!
Barb visits a CrecheBarb visits a Creche
Barb visits a Creche

A creche is a pre-school. These little ones have just received pencils and stuffed animals (they call them soft toys)
Clouds of HopeClouds of Hope
Clouds of Hope

Ellen reunites with the little girl at Clouds of Hope orphanage who stole her heart when she visited 4 year ago!
Salvaging boxesSalvaging boxes
Salvaging boxes

When the team empties cardboard boxes, they leave them behind for the children to take home to burn for fuel.
Important PencilsImportant Pencils
Important Pencils

Take note of the pencil on a string around this child's neck. This is an office depot pencil.. clearly a cherished item he received during last year's visit.
Shy..Shy..
Shy..

This beautiful little girl is very shy, as many of the children are when we visit, but loved seeing her photo on the screen of the camera!
At the CrecheAt the Creche
At the Creche

Jenna and a little boy at a creche with a package of pencils.. cute!
Flat TireFlat Tire
Flat Tire

A flat tire is just all part of a day's work in South Africa... the rural dirt roads are not kind to tires!


Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0396s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb