Phinda Mountain Lodge


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » KwaZulu-Natal » Sodwana Bay
April 3rd 2009
Published: June 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Mbawana the closest point to Phinda

So this whole week Chris has been very secretive about a surprise getaway for me to some fancy resort. I love surprises and is so eager to know, but don't want to spoil the surprise, then after secretly telling some guests at the lodge where he is taking me to as a surprise, upon check-out the guests very eagerly says "see you at Mountain lodge". I stood there is awe not knowing what to do, should I say something or just keep quiet, so I just kept quiet, smiled and waved, while boiling inside for spoiling my surprise.

So Friday comes and we are off to Phinda Mountain lodge. We are warmly welcomed by Richard the manager followed by a superb lunch. The decor and setting is absolutely stunning. Our room was so gorgeous. We had a huge bed in the middle of the room, the most stunning bathroom with an outside shower, and then a private splash pool surrounded by a wooden deck.

We immediately decided to take a swim and celebrated a weekend away with a glass of wine.

At 15h30 we went to the reception area to meet up with the rest of the guests for our game drive. Firstly we stopped at a lion sighting with two females enjoying the afternoon sun. We then proceeded to a water whole and saw a cheetah. It was a male that was calling to his brother. He strangely enough came walking straight past the vehicle, about 4 meters away. That evening we thought we are on our way home, when suddenly we stopped at a bush dinner. The whole lodge guests were going to have dinner in the middle of the bush. There was a lady standing at the entrance with a bowel and water to wash our hands. We were then met by other staff with a refreshing mohito. The whole bush was lit with candles and the tables neatly set up. There was a table with the chefs eagerly preparing some traditional South African food, and a bar with the friendliest staff.

We head straight to bed as we came back knowing we will be awake at 5h00 for our next game drive the following morning. I lost Chris is the big bed, and woke up what felt like miles worth of bed space in-between us as I rolled away during the night. The morning was chilly and I didn’t want to get out of bed. After a not so successful game drive we enjoyed a nice breakfast and strangely enough upon getting back to the room we slept. We woke up later that morning, and woke up to go have some lunch. After lunch the pool was yet again on the program followed by a not so nice game-drive.

After our game drive we headed of to a boma that was beautifully decorated with candles and had the most delicious food on the menu, we headed home straight after dinner for another nights sleep knowing not only will we be up for the game drive the next morning but we will be driving all the way to Pretoria.

The next morning was a stunner, I got a bit irritated at the guide stopping for every bird, which I am not interested in, but all was forgotten when we spotted a mother and her young Cheetah. They just ate and the little one was still pulling and playing with their prey, pulling it around. She was lying in the road not really fussed with us being there, the little one would come to her and they both would make a loud purring noise, almost like a house-cat. I loved the interaction the two had with one another and cameras clicked the whole time.

We checked out and I was sad to leave. I love that we went away alone for once, and we were just chilling. It is a really nice place. I would like to go back.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0927s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb