St Lucia with troublesome monkeys


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » KwaZulu-Natal » Saint Lucia
February 12th 2014
Published: February 17th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Tuesday and it was time to leave again. The caravan park was a very nice one but I was really looking forward to getting out in the bush a bit more, and hopefully some more birds and animals.

We stopped next at St Lucia campsite. One we've camped at many times before so it was going to be interesting to see what had changed.

Well first we were told that we had to camp on the area near the gate for safety reasons. Not a good start. The camp was still lovely though and there was plenty of bird life around us. The monkeys were around and we had been warned that they are very troublesome so we went to great lengths to make sure they couldn't steal our food, locking away everything inside the caravan, a secure strap on the outside fridge and even taking down the pop top.

Our neighbours hadn't been so careful so we came back the next afternoon to find them inside their caravan having ripped the netting at the top. We did what we could to scare them off but as they had left a bowl of fruit outside it wasn't very easy.

We had a little duiker that was roaming around the site, lots of mongoose and we heard the bush babies screeching that evening.

There is a lovely boardwalk alongside the river that goes past hippo to the beach but the estuary is completely closed now and you are not allowed to fish for salmon!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0668s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb