Umfolozi Game Reserve. Mainly Rhinos. Zululand Game Drive. We SURVIVED! Rolling Rhino Dung.


Advertisement
Published: November 13th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Umfolozi Game Reserve. Mainly Rhinos. Zululand Game Drive. We SURVIVED! Rolling Rhino Dung.

We arrived on a windy, rainy afternoon at the Reserve. Dressed in Khakis and ready for the Rhinos! Yes there we were in a reserve with 900 plus Rhinos roaming around just waiting to gouge us should we make a mistake. The female Rhinos have the sharpest horns, so you can be sure that with their babies, we were going to get charged at should we show a threatening stance. Sitting high up in a Toyota type vehicle was comforting.

Our first real encounter was just that! A Rhino crossed the road as we were driving by, and gave us that evil look, stopped and stared, and then in a huff moved on down the road wiggling his big fat bum. Oh the humility.>>>

The drive was about 3 hours and we saw lots of Rhinos in the distance as well as close up. We also saw 2 old male Water Buffalo lazing by the road. We were told that they were kicked out of the herd due to non productivity. Well, since I do not want to be kicked out of the herd, I have decided to remain productive in my life a little while longer. As we drove, we stopped for a short while to gaze out at the terrain while taking a break. The weather was still spotty and so the wild ones were less seen, then all of a sudden a mom and her baby Rhino came within 20 feet of us and we started snapping away with the camera. Click, click, click, click. As we drove further we came upon a strange site, 2 Beetles rolling a piece of Rhino dung (Shit) for those not in the know. A male and a female. Now imagine a Beetle weighing 2 ounces, 1 inch long rolling a ball of dung weighing ( I am not kidding) 2 POUNDS down the road away from the big pile with his female counter part on top. When they get a safe distance the female lays 1 egg inside the dung. I have video and pics. Ha Ha Ha... In the last half hour of the game drive we came upon monkees living around a fig tree. WE saw a new borne monkey being shoved by the mother in anger. I thought the mother killed the baby. About 1 minute later the baby moved. Whew.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.298s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 19; qc: 77; dbt: 0.0824s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb