Around Durban


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » KwaZulu-Natal » Durban
January 8th 2014
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -29.853, 31.0164

It was already hot when we docked at Durban, South Africa in the morning. We negotiated with a local taxi driver who took us to various sights around the city. Essentially these were the sights we would have seen if we had taken the official tour at 3 times the price. Durban is not as pretty as Capetown. It has a nice front with beaches and the odd statue. The post office is a notable huge Victorian building. The Victoria market is recommended by some if you want to barter for African goods but we had a look and did not stay. Must confess that we have enough African heads, masks and elephants etc! The best place to visit is most certainly the Botanical Gardens. These are free to visit and are popular with the locals for picnics or just a bite to eat in the small cafe. This is run by elderly volunteers who are extremely slow and chaotic so be warned, but worth supporting for the sheer amusement. They reminded me very much of the League of Friends at the hospital! The gardens are a reasonable size so allow an hour at least to walk around. Our taxi driver waited for us as there are no taxis available outside if you are not in your own car. The Orchid house in particular is worth a visit. After the gardens we went up to a view point and then along the beaches at the front before going back to the ship for lunch.

As we set sail we had a party on the pool deck and lots of hectic dancing after dinner. Must be the heat as all the aches and pains I had back in England have disappeared
PS I had more photos but they just wont upload from the ship- lousy connection


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



11th January 2014

Delighted you are all having such a good time. I have just caught up on all the blogs between work and the boys! All well here and less wet today! Your trip sounds fun. Enjoy
11th January 2014

you sure that's Victoria - she's a dead ringer for another grand dame I know!

Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0309s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb