A jorney to paradise


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Gauteng » Pretoria
October 17th 2012
Published: October 30th 2012
Edit Blog Post

CONSTITUTION HILL MUSEUM

constitution hills is the site of johannesburg's notorious old fort prison complex in braamfontein.

2009 september was the first time i visited this historic museum, we were taken on a field trip as tourism learners a school we have never heared of the place before so going there we did not know what to expect.

When we got there we saw a big building written in big bright colours in different languages. then we were divided in to groups and were introduced to our tour guides for the day his name was Sipho Mahlangu very friendly,out spoken guy. he showed us around the museum and took us to the prime attractions which included the fort,number four,the infamous black men's prisons and adjacent constitutional court.the cells have been conveted in to interactive museum where photographs and prison artefacts can be seen.

We had a chance to experience prison life he locked us in a cell where nelson mandela and other freedom fighters were held. very scary experience ever it was dark and the cell had no windows. we went outside where were taught gumboots dance and some of the songs prisioners used to sing we were also handcuffed.

Then we went to the big constitutional court the highest and biggest court in south africa we were even lucky to find one of the judges available who talked to us for a few minutes.

Best trip ever stepping in the shoes of our heros of our country.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0462s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb