Grimoldby Cup


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Gauteng » Pretoria
October 1st 2010
Published: October 1st 2010
Edit Blog Post

This past weekend AIS hosted the 3rd annual Grimoldby Cup, which is a u17 tournament that invites teams from both South Africa and Africa as a whole. Last year the champions were a team from Nigeria, however they were unable to make it back to South Africa this year. The 2010 Cup consisted of teams from Polokwane, Soshanguve, Durban, Eersterust, Winterfelt, and 2 teams from Mamelodi. All of these are located in South Africa. This years final was a match between both Mamelodi teams as they proved to be a cut above the rest. Sam Pam, who was once a Nigerian international and professional in South Africa, now works with AIS and coaches the team from Polokwane. He was able to share his testimony during the awards ceremony of the tournament and it was a great moment to be able to proclaim the Gospel at the end of a successful tournament.

My role during the tournament was basically behind the scenes. I helped with some concession stands, serving lunch each day to the players and coaches, and also setting up and tearing down. I spent Thursday- Monday at a campsite with the players and was able to spend some quality time with them. I played in a staff match on Saturday and scored 2 goals in a 6-1 win. It was great to be able to not only provide the players with a tournament, but to be able to share the love of Jesus with them as well.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



1st October 2010

When you get back home
Matt, When you get back home, let's get together and discuss how we can use soccer as an outreach of EBC. We also have a young man at EBC who does Rugby, perhaps we can use these two sports to start a sports outreach? Praying for you, Greg Koehn

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0398s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb