Long Drive Home


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Gauteng » Johannesburg
November 25th 2013
Published: June 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -26.1538, 28.0389

This morning we left at 5am as we wanted to get back to Johannesburg before sunset. From there Brett and Barney still had to drive back to Nambiti Game Reserve, as they had to work tomorrow. An hour into the journey we were stopped at a police road block. The policeman checked our car papers and asked a few questions. We told him that we were on our way back to South Africa. He then asked for some Coca Cola. I told him that we had none left, only cordial but he wasn't interested in that, he sadly waved us on.

The rest of the journey was uneventful. We drove the back roads to avoid the capital – Maputo. We crossed at the Ressano Gracia border. Here there were so many people just hanging around, all wanting to help us. As if we were going to hand our passport or currency to a dodgy dressed guy in the car park! The crossing went very smoothly. From Komatipoort (the South African side) to Johannesburg was a very nice drive. We drove straight past an entrance for Kruger Park – I would have loved to have been able to stop there for a few nights. I just did not want to go back to work!

On arriving in Johannesburg at about 5pm, we moved Brett and Barney's things into their car and said goodbye to them. Unfortunately for them, they had about a three hour drive ahead of them. We were exhausted and had an early night.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0265s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb