One day in Joburg


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Gauteng » Johannesburg » Sandton
July 28th 2012
Published: July 30th 2012
Edit Blog Post

we have been having issues so that is delay in blogging....love technology not..

We arrived in joburg on Monday after leaving Cape Town on a 6am flight. We stayed atbthe Davinci Hotel, very nice. Even though we ariived well brfore the official check in time our room was avaliable, very cool. We headed to Nelson Mandela square for the photo with the bronze stature of him, but been so tired we forgot to put the battery in the camera lol we decided to head back to room and have a nana nap.

We got picked up at one and went on atour of the city. First stop in Houghton was the home of Nelson Mandela when he is in the city, very flash. We then headed to the city centre, not as bad as people make it out to be. Deb got a photo of a sign that still said non whites only!!!

We then headed to Soweto, very differnt that what you expect, nothing like the Alexandra township by the airport, that is mainly tin sheds. Soweto has some very nice homes. we headed to the Hector Pieterson museum, which gives the history of the 1976 shottings of the black resistance people, who were protesting against apartthied, very sombre reading and viewing.

we then headed to 8115 Orlando west where nelson mandela lived until he was jailed on Robbin island, and also where he came back to when he was released.

We did finally get the shot with Nelson, whcih meant giving someone our camera, but all good we still have it.

Advertisement



30th July 2012

This should continue last entry
Cats are well and having a blast sleeping on me on the couch and then on their beds at night. By the looks well looked after though Barry still wants me to feed him when I get their and when I left in the mornings..........I was strong and said no........... You are not missing out on much raining like shit over here at the moment, so enjoy while you can. Have a wonderful time there and see you soon.....
1st August 2012

cats
great to hear all is good. The weather here is brillant, sunshine everyday. we are going to freeze when we get home. We went walking with three unleashed lions for an hour yesterday an amazing experience. I walked along holding the ,\male lions tail and he wasnt concerned at all, so cool

Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0519s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb