Desert Storm and out for tea and lunch


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Eastern Cape
March 12th 2010
Published: March 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Desert Storm and out for tea.
Tuesday
Today was hot. In fact we are in a heat wave at the moment. We keep being told that the weather is unusual. It was uncomfortably hot yesterday and worse today and then at midday the wind started again. At Joe Slovo with the general dryness it was like being with Laurence of Arabia and venturing across the courtyard at lunch time was risking your eyes being full of dust so I kept my reading glasses on and my eyes almost shut. Every surface was covered in the staff room and in the classrooms. Someone dusted off the table in the staff room when I tried to put my lunch down. They are really looking after my now that I am their sole volunteer. They are all speaking English and hugging me in case I am lonely.
I have to go shopping for the digital camera that I am buying them on Thursday and my farewell is scheduled for Friday. I have tried to tell the deputy that I don’t want a fuss, but it is not the Joe Slovo way! I have written a very corny poem for the expected “speech” at my farewell. This was inspired by the fact that the music specialist amongst us has written a song!! I tried it with a couple of friends tonight to see if it was too drippy. There is great merit in having other volunteers to compare notes with. We are also very good at sharing resources and ideas. I think dong something like this on your own would be quite hard.
My teachers in grade 2 have been very supportive this time and seem much happier to talk to me in English. We can share jokes and I feel much more part of a team coming for the second time.
I have now learned the children’s names and can pronounce most of them. I also have enough command words in Xhosa to deal with the inevitable trying it on. They are supposed to speak English with me and there is always someone who reminds the others if they lapse. They love games, particularly my word bingo, and stories and the current favourite is “ The Elephant and the Bad Baby” which they have quickly grasped. They join in with “rumpeta, rumpeta, rumpeta” and they get the bad baby saying “yes”. I think this is pretty good in a second language for any of you that know this one! I took photos of some of the groups but am a bit disappointed not to be able to do the rest.
Wednesday

After a bad night due to the dust and feeling blocked up, I thought I was too tired to function properly but today was a very busy teaching day and I enjoyed it. They love the second round bingo and I made another reinforcement game with sentences with actions that they have to complete. It got a bit boisterous by they loved it. I had to explain that it was an English class room and they could not eat sweets especially when they were passing round some pinkly pernicious sherbet from palm to palm. I would not let them play my bingo until I had wiped their hands with much drama over sticky fingers. I did bring in some apples and a knife and sharing it was a big production.
Three of us went out with the volunteer accountant from Calabash to discuss how the money was accounted for. She took us out along the coast to have tea. We had not been off in that direction and I realized that the coast is much more attractive than I had appreciated. It is rocky with lovely walkways along the dunes and brush type vegetation.

We are all trying to work out when our secret farewells are taking place. I know mine is on Friday and my request for something low key is not likely to be noticed. I am enjoying being there on my own as I much more chance to chat to the staff. I’m on a shopping trip for part of tomorrow to by the digital camera which is something I am leaving behind. Part of our cost is a contribution to the school.
Thursday
Shopping trip completed and a camera which will also take videos is now locked in my safe ready to be presented tomorrow at the “last supper”. The deputy principal and I did a tour of potential sources. Neither of us knows much about it but I am quite excited by what we have purchased and want one myself now!! I am supposed to have tried it out but am quite pleased I have got it set up and set the date! School was shutting early as all the teachers are going to a memorial service for the deputy at another school who has just died. Funeral rituals are very important in the black community here and paying respects. I was taken out to lunch so it felt a bit like playing hookey.
I did manage to work with two groups this morning. They know I am leaving and keep hugging me when I send them back. I am quite pleased with how much we they have learned in the short time. They are great fun to work with and we seem to laugh a lot.
My last day will be a short day too as the farewell is scheduled for 12. It has to happen! Another ritual. There will be singing and swaying and food.
There are a lot of interruptions to the teaching day which takes a bit of adjusting to, but I knew what to expect this time. I am working out how to have my farewells with the children and fit in a final story and biscuits and stickers. I cut out 36 butterfly paper finger puppets on Tuesday night but I am not sure if we will get time to do them. A final treat is another ritual.


Advertisement



12th March 2010

I love the sound of the farewell process....what a wonderful way to spend a month!
12th March 2010

leaving
You will have had your specail farewell by the time you see this, so hope it wasn't too emotionsl! Do you go on safari between now and next week ? love Hil

Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0579s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb