The worlds highest Bungy Jump


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Eastern Cape » Storms River
May 25th 2008
Published: July 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Ready???Ready???Ready???

Good to go???
I think that the highest bungy jump in the world deserves its own entry. I have just been unable to watch the DVD or think about it until now.
This is how it goes,we opted to take the Flying Fox slide to get to the bungy site,so you start of by getting kitted up and then walk along a snake ridden path (there are signs all over warning you about snakes),to the under side of the Bloukraans bridge.
You climb onto a platform and your harness gets strapped to the cable, and you push yourself off and off you go across the water, under the bridge,to the middle,where the bungy site is.
That in itself was rather terrifying.
Then, you are made to sit down while your feet are “secured”.This involves a boy scout knot type thing with a rope and a faded Velcro strap around your ankles. The whole time this is being done, you are being explained what each thing is for and how much weight it can take etc.
This does not quell any fear you have...trust me.
Once your feet are bound, you are helped up and have to hop to the edge of the bridge and
The knotThe knotThe knot

The ankle binding
then you jump.
I looked down first, which was stupid. I also realized halfway down- about 4 seconds in, that in all the rope tying etc, I didn't actually SEE the BUNGY ROPE being attached. So, I spent the next 4 seconds waiting to be pulled back up..or not. I WAS pulled back up by the rope and it immediately tightens, and then you spend the next 30 seconds feeling like the whole attachment is just going to slip off your feet.
Then the retrieval guy reaches you and pulls you back up. Then they get you just over the edge and immediately start undoing your legs. This was quite a concern to me as I was still right near the edge and was not impressed!!!
AND THEN...you have to walk back. Walking back involves going along a very thin metal cage walkway next to and attached to the bridge,which is even more scary than the jump itself. It 's hideous,I almost lost it on the walk back,there is only so much I can take in one day!!!

Having said all that, go do it, Face your Fear!!!
The reasons why are because you will NEVER find a view
At The EdgeAt The EdgeAt The Edge

Making me look up...
like the one you get from the bridge or from the jump,even when you are hanging there waiting to be fetched, looking upside down at the gorge,thats not something you can do everyday.
The staff at Face Adrenalin are fun and friendly and it has been accident free since it opened 14 years ago.
And hey man...it's not THAT difficult, you just have to jump off a bridge!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

OffOff
Off

Off we go...
DownDown
Down

Down...
DownDown
Down

Down...
UpUp
Up

Being fetched
UpUp
Up

Back up!!!
The BridgeThe Bridge
The Bridge

The evil bridge
ViewView
View

View from the bridge
WalkwayWalkway
Walkway

Evil walkway
Record holderRecord holder
Record holder

Guinness World Record sign
WalkwayWalkway
Walkway

Walkway again
The EdgeThe Edge
The Edge

The Edge...


Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0669s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb