Port Elizabeth - Pumba Game Reserve and the Big 5 (hopefully)


Advertisement
Published: May 5th 2016
Edit Blog Post

PORT ELIZABETH, SOUTH AFRICA - 19th April


This was to be one of the highlights of the cruise as we were visiting a game reserve for the day.

Port Elizabeth is known as the friendly city and has a busy commercial and industrial centre.

On the way out of the city we passed numerous new car plants and the new container port, one of the most modern in the world.

It has also earned the nickname "Detroit of South Africa" because of its automobile manufacturing.



The main trips and tours were for game reserves, there are four close by including the Addo Elephant National Park where there are more than 300 elephants as well as other animals.

It is one of South Africa's major tourist attractions.

We opted for the Pumba Game Reserve because we had two game drives and it was also the chosen tour for the Overlanders.

That is passengers left the ship to spend the night in the Reserve and then to rejoin the ship in Cape Town in two days.



Situated approximately 1½ hour’s drive from Port Elizabeth, Pumba Private Game Reserve covers over 6,000 hectares of land and offers the thrilling experience of spotting the Big Five in their natural environment. Pumba covers five of the seven biomes, and is the first of the Eastern Cape Game reserves to introduce a White Lion breeding programme.

As well as the amazing animals you will find at Pumba Private Game Reserve, for the bird lovers there are over 300 different species. Other animals on the reserve include giraffe, zebra, hippo, cheetah, warthog, hyena, wild dogs and a host of others.




Well the pictures hopefully speak for themselves, I suppose the only disappointment was not seeing more lions or a rhino, but still a great experience.


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.442s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 27; qc: 78; dbt: 0.1303s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb