East London to Hogsback, Mitchells Pass, Katberg Pass and more.


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Eastern Cape » Hogsback
August 13th 2014
Published: August 13th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Boer Maak 'n planBoer Maak 'n planBoer Maak 'n plan

Short term solution for the overheating KTM. Let the fan run constantly.
I use Dropbox and Facebook mainly for anything to do with some motorbike experience.

When I started to receive invites from DropBox because they “miss my presence” it was suddenly a stark reminder that a good bike trip was overdue.

Although riding solo is not something which stops me easily, it is more fun to have some company and therefore I threw out the gauntlet or invitation to Marius (Colleague and friend) who accepted immediately.

Marius immediately started to look for accommodation while I was still thinking about where to go, but at least we narrowed it down to something around Hogsback, 130 km from East London.

Things developed fast and soon we were three people with the possibility of one more and the initial one day changed to staying over for two nights.

A Promise made long ago to a German expat colleague could at last be realised and Sebastian with his KTM 990 was invited to go with. The problem with inviting people for the first time is that you have no idea how they will cope. For this reason Sebastian joined me on a short back road trip the Sunday before. He set
Propper solution for overheating KTMPropper solution for overheating KTMPropper solution for overheating KTM

Put coolant in the radiator. At King Williams Town we decided to check the coolant level which we assumed the dealer did when the bike was there for a cooling problem.
my mind at ease immediately by the way he handled his bike on some unused rutty roads.

During the “test” ride Sebastian noticed that his bike was running hot and he also had to have new tyres fitted. On Monday he delivered his bike the local KTM Dealer who phoned him on Thursday, 45 minutes before they would close to collect the “fixed” bike.

We left work early on Friday, accept for Marius who put the pressure on us by taking off the complete day.

The KTM was overheating in normal town traffic and we made a plan with a paper clip to short circuit the fan temperature switch because the mechanic told us that the fan was kicking in too late and he did not have the time to order new parts …..bla bla bla…

Not even this was good enough and in King Williams Town the fairing was stripped off to get to the radiator cap, only to find that the radiator was completely empty. After filling it up with a strong antifreeze mixture the bike was happy as a pig in mud. Sebastian could now also start to smile and relax after this
First taste of gravelFirst taste of gravelFirst taste of gravel

Marius is deflating the tyres on his GS for the gravel. The rest of us did that at the beginning of the trip and tackled the tar with 1.8 bar. BMW people are so precise:-)
problem as well as a brake problem, also a result of the “service”, was solved.

Shame on the KTM Dealer giving such a great bike such a bad service.

We took to Gravel at Dimaza and stopped at Sandile Dam where to our great surprise Tommy rocked up with his KLR 650. He would join us in Hogsback, coming from Stutterheim. Altough not planned, this was perfect timing and an excellent start to the weekend.

We arrived in Hogsback shortly before sunset and booked in at Kings Lodge where a very nice cottage with a lekker packed “kaggel” and enough wood for a good braai awaited us.

Part of the intricate organisation was that I would take the meat and breakfast oats, Marius some salad, Tommy the beers and Sebastian, as a new guest, brought a surprise Hungarian pear schnapps. The schnapps was the best I have ever tasted and I forgot the oats for breakfast. I think all of us appreciated the schnapps as well as the opportunity to have a proper breakfast at a restaurant the next morning.

After breakfast we left for Mitchell’s Pass on the way to Katberg Pass and then to finish off by doing a round trip back to Hogsback via some roads not yet ventured on by any of us.

We knew that Mitchells would be a challenge and vowed to help each other through, even turn back if it proved too much of a challenge. Hahaha, easier said than done for a “adventure riders”. How on earth do you manage to turn back from a little obstacle?

The level of difficulty is worked out as follows: KLR 650 = light =not too difficult. – Africa Twin = not as light = not as easy - KTM 990 Almost = Africa Twin, but higher = requires some more guts -- BMW GS 1150 = high and heavy = you need to be very brave and strong.

We all got through without a scratch, but I need to go again some time to correct the mistakes I made. Out new German friend did it almost 100% perfect and we have a challenge on our hands.

On the way to Katberg Pass we were presented with the fascinating beauty of the mountains we were about to scale and there was a sense of excitement. We
Nice idea, but no longer nice placeNice idea, but no longer nice placeNice idea, but no longer nice place

Wish I could attend one of the gatherings which took place at this monument years ago during the existence of the Ciskei.
stopped briefly on the high ground to appreciate the view over the Katberg Hotel before tackling the serious part of the pass. The road surface is solid clay and stone on the first stretch, becoming stonier as you go higher. Some loose rocks, small and large, can make it a challenge, depending on your riding skills and experience, but nothing to be afraid of.

At one point we turned off to take a little side “spoor” (track in English) just for the heck of it and the possibility of seeing the area from a different angle. During this the clutch cable of the KLR broke. Normally this spells trouble, but Tommy was prepared and even had a spare cable routed in on the bike. The repair took some time, but also gave the opportunity to enjoy the quite surrounding nature.

By the time we reached the top of the pass, at the turn off to Tarkastad, we all agreed to take a shortcut back to Hogsback via the R357 over Whittlesea. I have not yet driven this road before, but there are no passes on it and R357 sounded and looks very official.

Yes, now you already know what comes next. After a fairly technical and rocky road, it started to dwindle in a riverbed, becoming narrower with Wattle trees closing in from both sides and the dongas and trenches becoming bigger and deeper until we could not go further. As Marius said, “Any normal person would have to realise that this road is not going further”, but I have luckily never laid claim to being normal. Sorry gents, but it was good fun to battle our way out of the mess which I landed us in.

Because an adventure cannot be an adventure if you are not challenged to make decisions, we had to make a new decision after the previous two have “not worked out”. This was an easy one. We went back the way we came, BUT NOT OVER Mitchells Pass.

It was an enjoyable ride back, leisurely going down Katberg and enjoying the scenery, then speeding up a bit on the gravel until we reached the tar on the R345 to Hogsback.

Sebastian and I pushed it a bit through Hogsback Pass to put the cherry on the cake at the end of a fantastic day with a lot of
German meeting Ciskei CowGerman meeting Ciskei CowGerman meeting Ciskei Cow

Shortly after this the cow turned away. Secretly we wondered what would happen if the cow would challenge Sebastian.
variety.

At the cottage Tommie immediately helped us to a beer and we just stood around the bikes, reminiscing about the day’s experiences, and not actually wanting the feeling to end.

We went to bed a lot earlier than the previous night and there was already the feeling of “tomorrow we have to enjoy the last part before it comes to an end”.

Sunday morning we rose slowly and in a sombre mood, had breakfast at the Fairy Realm Coffee shop and left on the way back with the weather indicating that we would get wet on this day.

The problem with these trips are that today is setting the level of expectation for tomorrow, and secretly we all fear that it cannot be as good as yesterday when we get up.

I have wanted to drive a track which I noticed on Google Earth for a long time and convinced…. Let me try this again…… I told the other members of the party that I want to go and have a look at the track, and as soon as it looks difficult, we will turn around. This sounds a lot like the Mitchells Pass
!! Tommie Arrived! Tommie Arrived!!!!!! Tommie Arrived! Tommie Arrived!!!!!! Tommie Arrived! Tommie Arrived!!!!

Please take note that Tommie does not only bring beer on a trip. If you look closely you will notice the toothpaste and brush.
story, but as with Mitchells pass, it was my honest intension. The problem is to define “difficult”.

Although the route took us down a slanted hill covered with slippery dry pine needles and some other obstacles like trees across the “road”, not one of the members complained, but rather decided to get through before it started to rain harder.

Eventually this turned out to be a fantastic ride, a great experience and one of the most beautiful indigenous forests I have seen in our country. When we gathered at the exit of the forest all of us were dumbstruck by what we have just experienced. The sense of achievement, calming down after some adrenalin rushes and the beautiful nature which surrounded us made the whole thing seem surreal while we were standing in the light rain.

Content and happy we left the place, thinking, we have to do this again sometime. The road home was uneventful, but in contrast to previous trips, there was calmness in me, almost feeling that this was so good that I can now go home and be happy.

We were blessed to have this experience and went to bed early and privileged.

To my friends Tommie, Marius and Sebastian I say thank you for making this possible.

Special mention has to be made of the fantastic ride Sebastian had. Never before have I seen a newcomer take to gravel so quickly. We decided to award him the title of “King of Katberg”.

Until the next trip.


Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 28


Advertisement

Stopped at a waterfall in the indigenouse forest on the way to Hogsback.Stopped at a waterfall in the indigenouse forest on the way to Hogsback.
Stopped at a waterfall in the indigenouse forest on the way to Hogsback.

This time it was very dry, but it always stay a good place to stop and appreciate the beauty.
Stopping to admire the viewStopping to admire the view
Stopping to admire the view

It was strange and very noticeable. We stopped and no one said a word. Everyone was happy to just enjoy the view and drive off.
It was a little cool Saturday morningIt was a little cool Saturday morning
It was a little cool Saturday morning

and Sebastian used the opportunity to buy women's clothing.
Hogsback Petrol StationHogsback Petrol Station
Hogsback Petrol Station

It did not seem odd before, but Sebastian's reaction to this filling station made me aware of the fact that this is special. They also tell you before filling up that you have to double the pump reading because it is not set correctly, or something like that. Bottom line is that you have to do some calculations, not just read, OK?
Mitchell's Pass Mitchell's Pass
Mitchell's Pass

Jipppieeeee. Some action. If you are not a seasoned rider and /or you have a big heavy "adventure bike", think twice before setting your heart on doing this little obstacle.
Katberg Pass Katberg Pass
Katberg Pass

We took a side road to get to this view point.


Tot: 0.201s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1319s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb