EducAid


Advertisement
Sierra Leone's flag
Africa » Sierra Leone
April 17th 2010
Published: April 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

EducAid MagbeniEducAid MagbeniEducAid Magbeni

EducAid's school in Magbeni; this building is where the RUF kept many hostages.
So as you know, I am here doing research for my thesis on youth and education. Things are going really well and I am learning a tremendous amount about the education system in Sierra Leone.

One of the organizations I have been working with here in Sierra Leone is EducAid. EducAid was founded in 1993 by two best friends, Swithun Mason & James Boardman (who are now trustees of the organization) but it wasn't until 2000, when Miriam Mason-Sesay came to Sierra Leone and started the first school in Lumley. Since then, EducAid has built three other schools in Magbeni, Rolal, and Maronka, totaling over 1400 students.

Many EducAid students have been out of school for quite some time before they come to EducAid for help. This is due to lack of money or family support, or other difficult circumstances ...

EducAid Sierra Leone runs the only free secondary schools in Sierra Leone



All new students go through a class where they build literacy, numeracy, thinking and independent learning skills before continuing to other classes such as mathematics, language arts, social studies, integrated science (i.e. biology, chemistry and physics), religious & moral education, business studies, basic electronic, and agricultural science.

Although EducAid uses the same material as
EducAid MaronkaEducAid MaronkaEducAid Maronka

EducAid's first primary school in Maronka.
other schools, they do things a bit differently. Students work independently and move at their own pace, while teachers mark, guide, facilitate and set targets/goals. This allows for the student to take control and responsibility for their own learning.

EducAid currently has four schools:

1) EducAid Lumley, junior and senior secondary school;
2) EducAid Rolal, junior secondary school;
3) EducAid Magbeni, junior secondary school;
4) EducAid Maronka, primary school.


EducAid Sierra Leone is well-run, giving many kids a chance at education. Unlike most schools here, EducAid absolutely does not believe in corporal punishment. Unlike all schools here, EducAid provides free education and lunch (I wish they did that at my secondary school, those chocolate chip cookies would have been long gone each time I went through those lunch lines)! They take good care of their staff and students by having tutor group retreats, establishing countless clubs and student-run programs, merit cards, and peer mediators.

Everyone's hard work is well paid off. In 2009, EducAid had THE highest score in the West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE), a type of standardized test in West Africa.

Feel free to visit EducAid's blog, where they continually post updates and day-to-day activities.

EducAid has been kind enough to help me with my research. I greatly appreciate all their assistance and support and can assure you, after spending a significant amount of time at the schools and with the staff and students, that all money donated goes directly to the organization and its pikins (kids). Every bit of money is wisely spent and truly appreciated.

Please help the pikins in Sierra Leone and donate today!!

Ah tell yu bohku bohku tenki!!



* Some of the information provided paraphrased or directly used from EducAid's website


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Lumley KidsLumley Kids
Lumley Kids

Studying hard!
Lumley StudentsLumley Students
Lumley Students

Students helping me with my research by filling in a survey.
ClassroomClassroom
Classroom

@ Maronka


21st April 2010

ahh school..
ik beloof je dat ik een donatie doe.....goed werk .....het worden je laatste weken...maar ik geloof dat jij wel terug wilt !!! dikke kus en tot gauw.. MJ
23rd April 2010

wow!
10th May 2010

WOW
all what i can say is "wow"............ today it is a slow day at work, so i was cleaning my computer, and then i notice that i bookmarked your website a while back, and it has been a year or so that i have not read and followed your blogs, so i opened the site, and I caught up with.................let me just say, your blogs brought me back to reality, people get busy with life and just forget to look around....................... again, thanks for these amazing blogs, and hope everything is going well with you, just keep smiling and everything (inshallah) will be great.................
25th February 2011
EducAid Magbeni

About Magbeni schol
Asfor nown EducAid Magbeni is best school in PortLoko District because they pull the best result for BECE .We need more help to wards our school to improve more than other school,and i hope my school will the best in this country. Our school in village closer to the river rokel and we have primary and secondary school.

Tot: 0.207s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 72; dbt: 0.079s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb