Dakar


Advertisement
Senegal's flag
Africa » Senegal
July 13th 2021
Published: July 25th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Senegal Kermel market http://www.heygo.com

Alioune explained about the Senegal flag that was on his cap today.

The flag consisting of three vertical green, yellow and red bands with a five pointed green star at the centre. Adopted in 1960 to replace the flag of the Mali Federation since the country gained independence that year. Senegal retained the green-yellow-red flag but substituted a green star for the kanaga. Green is seen as a symbol of hope and of the country’s major religions, while yellow is for natural riches and the wealth derived from labour. Red recalls the independence struggle, life, and socialism.

The Marché Kermel was established in 1910 and one of the first in Dakar.

Alioune took us first passed some of the craft stalls with the stall holders wanting to say hello, the carved wooden items were made using Ebony, Redwood & Acacia.

The textile items so colourful.

We then ventured inside the market building to the fresh food area, fruit, vegetables,spices, fish & meat, we certainly got a flavour of what local people buy daily.

One stall had red, yellow & green pepper lined up which reminded me where our tour started
- The flag of Senegal!



The tour ended with more locals wanting to say hello and one young man proudly wearing his England football t-shirt.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement







Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0237s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb