Border crossing Mauritania into Senegal


Advertisement
Senegal's flag
Africa » Senegal » Saint-Louis Region » Saint-Louis
October 25th 2007
Published: November 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

St Louis 1St Louis 1St Louis 1

Beautifully painted fishing boats lined the river all the way into town.
Crossing the border from Mauritania to Senegal was an adventure in itself. Quoting directly from my journal...
'...at yet another Police/Military check point along the way to get to the border of Senegal, we've decided that the border crossing at Rosso is probably going to be pretty tough and take upwards of 6-8 hours and potentially multiple bribes etc, so we're going to be taking a detour to another border crossing which we've heard through the grapevine is much easier to get through. The Border guards for Senegal are notorious for requesting bribes etc.
It took us 4 hours of driving along a dirt road to get to the alternate border crossing, and even then it took us 2 hours to get through the Mauritania/ Senegal border and one stupid toll of 25 Euro (originally he wanted 200 Euro for us to go over the bridge) But yeah, we made it! Then to get to St.Louis, where we were staying for the next couple of nights, we went through 2 police stops en route. The Police stopped us and were looking for 'bribes' because 1. we had no bug spray, and 2. the numbers on the license plate were too small etc. Go figure!

The campsite here in St.Louis is about a 50 minute walk from town, a beautiful walk along the river, with the fishing boats along side the road, it was really pretty. However after spending a couple of hours grocery shopping (it was my cook group's turn to shop and cook) we didn't really get to explore much of St.Louis. oh well, next time.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

St Louis 4St Louis 4
St Louis 4

Kathie and Candice.
St Louis 6St Louis 6
St Louis 6

Fisherman's graveyard.
St Louis 9St Louis 9
St Louis 9

The beach just off our campground.


Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0444s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb