transport


Advertisement
Rwanda's flag
Africa » Rwanda » Ville de Kigali » Kigali
January 24th 2010
Published: January 24th 2010
Edit Blog Post

An unanticipated trip to Kigali today to help one of the other girls doing the same thing as me but in a different organisation to find some safe accomodation. She unfortunately thought the guy working in the hostel was being friendly in showing her around but clearly had ulteriour motives and made her feel very uncomfortable. As a lone female traveller it is always useful to say you're married or getting married soon and often to be fairly cold on first meeting guys.... shame cos i'm sure most are merely friendly.

being sunday morning everyone was in church and so the bus, with a picture of Michael Jackson on the back and a motif saying 'still alive', was pretty empty. A pleasant change from the buses normally where 16 seater minivans are stuffed to the limited before leaving. It seems to work well though it can be annoying if you're at the back and have to clamber over all the folded down seats to get off. To get off you just tap the ceiling. entertainment seems to be either the premiership or rwandan music ( the latter probably being the preferable option as i can only just about make out which teams are playing and who has the ball when they shout out familiar names!).

Alternatively there are moto-taxis to get around town quicker - guys hire the motorbikes and are provided with helmets for their clients. a quick trip across town, with an oversized helmet and unable to see much, costs 40p. they do have plenty of space to put your feet so at least there is no burning of shins on the exhaust!

out in the villages there is also a bicycle taxi system - whereby a seat is put on the back of a bike and some poor fella has to cycle around with your weight on the back. I have to admit i haven't yet tried this because i'm still a bit scarred from giving a friend a backie when i was little and her foot getting stuck in the spokes!

Well i should probably go and get the bus since it's an hour home and will be dark in an hour. I do love the days revolving round daylight hours 😊 especially since i'm not good in the evenings.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0188s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb