Kenya, Uganda & Rwanda


Advertisement
Rwanda's flag
Africa » Rwanda » Ville de Kigali » Kigali
June 21st 2007
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After the National Park we spent a few days travelling through Kenya to the Uganda border. I'm happy to report that crossing the border was fairly uneventful and it did not take long before we were emerced into the green countryside of Uganda.

Here we took a ferry ride on Lake Victoria to Ngamba Island, which is home of to a Chimpanzee Sanctuary. Many Chimps over here are killed for their meat and the babies are often exported as pets, so it was great to see that a safe place had been created to help with there survival. We watched the Chimps having lunch which was highly amusing and then Andreas from our tour accidentally dropped his camera batteries and one of the Chimps made off with an AA battery, trying his hardest to bite it in half. Thankfully the battery was retrieved and we had narrowly avoided injuring the chimps.

The other highlight in Uganda was a spontaneous decision after a few beers at the campsite to hit a Ugandan nightclub. Fair to say it wasn't a nightclub in the sense of what we are used to and it was concerning to see most Eurpean men in their were with working girls. Never the less more beers were consumed and its fair to say there were some sore heads the next day.

We then headed down to Lake Bunyoni for a night by the water (worth noting Nic has successfully camped for the whole time to date) which was beautiful, prior to crossing the border into Rwanda. Bit of a nightmare initially as they appeared to be making up new entry requirements on the spot, but Tans (our Aussie Tour Leader) was on the case and after an hour or so we were on our way.

Rwanda is a beautiul country and we were forunate to visit the "Genocide Museum" that provided us with a detiled look at the history and slaughter that has recently taken place here.

So it's now Tuesday night and we are getting ready for the trekking with Gorillas tomorrow - Can't wait.

PS - Please continue to send hate mail to Virgin as my bag has still not turned up.

PPS - Remember that when getting up at 5am and pulling down your tent, killer bees are attracted to your headtorch and will sting.

PPPS - 6% beers at altitude are great.

PPPPS - We will be able to have you all around for dinner as we can now routinely cook for 30 people - fab.

Next Day (21 June)

What an amazing experience. Words can't describe how fantastic trekking with the Mountain Gorillas was yesterday. We trekked in groups of 8 into the Rwandan jungle with two guides and numerous armed guards and after an hour of walking through the intense bamboo terrain, we arrived at a family of Gorillas. At times we were one metre away and we spent an hour with them taking photos, watching the baby Gorillas swing round on the bamboo and generally observing their movements.

There were times when the "silverback" daddy gorilla or older female gorillas would make a quick move and we would all have to scramble out of their path as the guides quickly macheted us some space to get out of their way. As I said I don't think words really capture the experience, but it was something we will never forget.

Sorry for the novel but its woth making the most of Internet when we get it (even if the keys are all hilgilty pigilty).

Hope all is well with everyone at home

Write again soon
Nic & Al


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



21st June 2007

Wowsers
What a brilliant camera you have - those photos are just amazing (all my workmates agree). Sounds like you are having a great time. Loving the blog - keep up the good work. miss u guys and be super safe. Kimi
21st June 2007

Fantastic news and photos
this is much more fun that sending you txt's !!! Shocking news about your suitcase Nic - my unaccompanied luggage has also gone walkabouts - in Singapore - per kind favour of Singapore Airlines. You'll find some fashionable garments in the markets (!) So enjoying your journals and your SOH and know you're both having amazing experiences. sml
21st June 2007

Daktari Rides Again
Hi Guys. I sent a comment through before but not sure if it got thru so I'll make this brief. What a great trip! One could say verging on life changing. You could end up stuck there looking after orphaned Primates - an Out of Africa moment shall we say. Keep the photo's coming - great inspiration to get of our preverbials and go travelling again. Harlo.
22nd June 2007

Dinner for 30???
Dinner for 30, now this i have to see!!!!!!!!!!! All i want tot do now is travel again!! Can't wait to se ya in JNB!!!
23rd June 2007

NZ on the back foot
I know you 2 wont know what day of the week it is, but its 4.36pm CET time - Saturday arvo here too and all about NZ sports. Sadly we're lagging behind in both the TriNations and America's cup. Jetlag and our sailors are spread tooooo widely afield - but we know who the true winners are. World Cup on the horizon. Dont think of us - WE'RE all on your trail, waiting for your nxt update
23rd June 2007

yee how
26 - 21 to the AB's !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
23rd June 2007

Loving it
Doing it in style - you guys make me jealous with the great stories. Continue to have such a fun and safe trip. Greg, Lynette, Ryan
24th June 2007

You lucky b'stards
Hey guys, I cannot put in words how much I envy you right now. It sounds like you're having an absolute ball. Awesome photos, I have to ask what camera you're shooting with (sorry can't help myself). Keep safe and keep the blogs coming, I'm loving them in a masochistic, jealous sort of way. Cheers Bevo
24th June 2007

Go the Killer Bees
Fantastic pics...the leopard is now on the wall of my office cubicle :) America's Cup now 1-1 - yeah! Oh and we are now booked on Luft...Luftha...that one! We'll be in Paris on Dec 4th for funtimes!!
25th June 2007

Great updates!!
Yo how are you both.You know Nic I could have sworn there was a shot of you after the nightclub visit instead of one of those Guerillas in the jungle.Looked suspiciously similar.An update on the Americas cup we have beaten Alingi this morning so its 1 all for the cup!!! And the Fords had a win at Darwin finally!!!!Liked your mum and DAds cooment about Als pant very amusing.Keep the photos coming!!!
26th June 2007

photo's
Al, why have you changed your name to Big Silver?
27th June 2007

dont rub it in.
wowsers, your pickies are amazing! but im not jelous at all. we saw a giraffe in the corrifor just now. i dont have any pictures cos i didnt have a camera with me. blast! we miss you!! xxx

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0411s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb