Real chocolate :) bliss


Advertisement
Rwanda's flag
Africa » Rwanda » Province de L'Ouest » Gisenyi
March 3rd 2010
Published: March 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

I've now headed off to the other side of the country to Gisenyi on Lake Kivu, border of DRC. Was fortunate to have two empty buses getting here and so didn't feel bad about my bag taking up so much room, nor have to pay for 2seats. I was sat next to some guy who clearly wanted to practise his English but he did have some delicious swiss chocolate - give and take a little!

We drove through hilly countryside passing through village after village, men women and children carrying on their heads (or pushing on bikes) wood, sacks of potatoes (probably equivalent to 30 sacks from sainsburys), plaintain, water, cabbages, bananas, tomatoes, laundry baskets full to overflowing, sports bags, suitcases you name it and mose women carrying a kid on their back too. Those not walking to market were working (bent over straight legged) on the tiered land covered in bananas, maize and tea plantations down low; the maize being dried under the eves of the village huts.

i'm now sat (well was when i wrote this entry so as to cut back on internet time thinking what to write) on a coarse sand beach on the shore of Lake Kivu - looking over DRC and a brewing storm - desperate to go for a swim but reluctant to draw more attention to myself than i already have, being a mzungu! Although i might actually sink after the amount i've just eaten.

With no more muxury of a cook the common meal is a buffet of all the ingredients i've been living off (or should i say all the ingerdients in Rwanda) consisting of pasta, potato, plantain, beans, yam, rice and chips. You take a plate and common practise is to pile it as high as possible with food getting total value for money....i thought it rude not to comply and even more so not to finish it off!!

Having wandered round town and through the busling market (unlike in rwamagana) i'm now back in my guest house and i joked yesterday about buying a copy of the bible to read in my free time (i've never read it) because it wouldn't occupy much space, would save me buying heaps of books and there'd be hours of reading for all my spare time over the next few weeks and guess what ... there is a copy of the New Testament in my room so i might just give it a go!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0789s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb