Etosha


Advertisement
Namibia's flag
Africa » Namibia
October 27th 2015
Published: October 29th 2015
Edit Blog Post

27 October 2015

A remarkable day viewing Etosha’s big game.

An early start was made when the rest stop gates were opened at sunrise and we headed for the nearby Chudop water hole which when was occupied by just a few zebras. However to our delight they soon had company when a black rhino ambled up to have a drink. For the next three hours we were amazed as giraffes, zebras and many antelope of various types each took their turn to partake in the life giving liquid.

We finally tore ourselves away and drove along the bumpy gravel roads to Kalkheuwel where we were entertained by a large herd of elephants of all sizes from huge males to a tiny suckling baby.

The other locations we visited were either dry or empty of animals presumably because they were sheltering from the 40° plus midday temperatures so we retreated to our overnight stop, Halali, to cool off in its large swimming pool.

Halali has its own water hole just outside the fenced camping perimeter. We took an early evening stroll there and were surprised to find that it was inhabited by a pride of lions who were taking a drink following gorging themselves on a nearby elephant carcase. We also had a second viewing of a black rhino. A wonderful end to the day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0395s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb