Namibia on Water


Advertisement
Namibia's flag
Africa » Namibia » Swakopmund
March 20th 2014
Published: June 18th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Namibia On Water

So far I have only talked about the trip on the land. Now I will talk about the water trip.

The morning after the living dessert tour, we went on a dolphin cruse. We had to get up early to get there on time(and it was a 15 minute drive away). Then we When we started a seal jumped up on bored. To have a visit and a snack a few fish were good for him. We were told not to touch him because he wasn't as tame as the others. After we fed him some fish, he leaped off the boat and into the water. Once he left,more came and followed us. Pelicans came overhead with seagulls behind. One of the guides would throw a fish in the air and the pelicans would catch if mid air. If they missed it either the seagulls would get it or it would fall in the ocean. One of the pelicans landed on the boat. As we passed an old and broken port, the pelicans flew to the dock where tons of other birds were. It looked like a feeding frenzy. I got some great photos of all the birds. I could see flamingos, sea gulls, pelicans and small fishing birds. We had no room for more passengers so the boat moved on. As we went on, there were boats stopped, and sure enough there were bottle nose dolphins swimming around the boat. Some would jump and others would glide under the water. I was at the front of the boat so I got some really nice photos. The captain then told us that the dolphins might ride the wake that the boat makes as it goes and everybody went to the back to see as the captain started the engine. I think their idea of riding the wave is a little different than mine. The dolphins swam right behind the motor and not surfing in it to move. The dolphins ended up leaving the boat so we were ready to move on to where the seals stayed with the young ones learning how to swim. The big males were with the mothers to protect the young. They make so much noise that it hurst your ears. They honk for all day and especially when you get as close as we got. The seals were almost in the boat some of the time. You could only just see the babies, because they are mostly on shore, and not as deep as the others. We could see some seals that had been killed by sea gulls on shore, a sad sight. The crew had a snack prepared for us, oysters and deep fried sea food. I made a mistake by putting two oysters on my plate. I could only eat one, no the both of them. The day after the dolphin cruise was our last day in Namibia, and we went on a guided Kayak ride. We went by a big group of seal that the boat drove by the day before. We had to get up really early to get to the meeting place. It's the same place as the day before. We only had five people and the guide. So, we had to double kayaks and 2 singles. Me and Dad were experienced. It was Arlene's first time in a Kayak and the two others we don't know. The guide took us right near the seals. Some would jump in front of are boat and others would go under the kayak belly up. We had a small seal rest on our paddle. It swam too far out and was out of breath, so it took a break fro swimming, before heading to the shore to rest even more. The seals were quite playful and still precautious. Some of them wouldn't even come close or dived really deep. All you would see is bubbles coming up in a line going away and coming back again. The guide brought snacks and pop on the trip so at the end we got some food then we saw a dead seal; that put off our appetite a little bit. We then had our 2 hour flight back to Johannesburg.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.168s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 16; qc: 64; dbt: 0.1274s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb