#14 Namibia


Advertisement
Namibia's flag
Africa » Namibia » Swakopmund
July 23rd 2010
Published: July 23rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Well the start of our trip has gone great! Please take a look at our truck. The carcass is more like a bus, but in in Africa it is more prestigious to drive a “truck” so we are not allowed to call it a bus in front of the driver. There is the driver/mechanic and the chef, then the tour guide leader, and 30 of us. We are Americans, Canadiennes, Dutch, German, Aussie, English and Korean. All in all, it is a pretty nice group.

The first day we set off in our truck and made it to a South African vineyard. Nothing of note, except we had a nice wine tasting and the campsite was nice. It took some time to adjust to putting up and taking down our tent (named Anne by the way) but we are pros at it. We take just the essentials of f the truck; toiletries, sleeping bag, sleeping mat, and pillow. Thats about it. We all have chores (called “activities” each day which consist of pots and pans, cleaning the truck, food prep, chairs and tables taking out, and a day off, so each day we rotate “activities.” We are usually on the road for 4-6 hours a day, and each day we do at least one fun activity.

On the first day we did the wine tasting as mentioned, the second we swam and canoed in the Orange River (that divides Namibia and South Africa today). On the third day we hiked Fish River Canyon (the worlds second biggest after the US's Grand Canyon). On the 4th day we went on a desert walk on the vlei (pronounced flay) as well as had a sand dune race. We literally climbed up a huge dune (number 45) then raced down it. An Englander won the race but we all had a great time. About the vlei. It is a 1000 year old forest! Before there was water there and now it is all dried up. We have also seen several poisonous spiders, geckos, and bugs of all sorts.

Tomoro we are going sandboarding (like snowboarding but on sand). The only down side we are told is carrying our boards back to the top. Still it will be fun! Also there is quad biking in the desert which will be fun. Many others are skydiving and sea kayaking and such but our funds are limited so we will just do the sand boarding and the quad biking. Tonight we are having a game buffet (kudo, springbok, antelope and other deer-like game). Anyhow, all in all it was a great first week. Oh, the food is amazing.. I think I am gaining weight even! Next up Etosha elephant park in Northern Nambia before heading to Bots(wana).

*only some of the photos seem to have uploaded... i may try resizing them at some point if i get some time..


Additional photos below
Photos: 60, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



26th July 2010

Uraaaaaaa! Finally caught up with your travels!
Adam, Laura, I am in the bus from NYC to DC - finally a moment to catch up with your adventures. The bus is slowing down so I look to see whether there are some antillopes or other cattle block the road... Uuups, you just made me day dreaming - i see the endless red lights of weekend traffic and wished I was going somewhere nice and exotic, somewhere where the bus will not have wireless internet and there would be no way we could be watching "The Bounty Hunter" on HD. Thank you for sharing your explorations. I am very proud of you and happy that I get to follow you around the world. Keep making us dreaming, my dears. I promise to catch up on Laura's blog shortly, although to be honest the likelihood of me needing traffic safety info for Africa or anywhere in the world is slim to none... Hate driving, metro, baby, that is what I care for. Hugs, Anna

Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0939s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb