Windhoek to Swakopmund


Advertisement
Namibia's flag
Africa » Namibia » Swakopmund
September 1st 2009
Published: September 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Heathrow AirportHeathrow AirportHeathrow Airport

We like to travel light!!

We have arrived! Amazingly they let us on with all our luggage with no extra baggage charge, I think Adam gave the man a ‘special’ smile. First night we spent in Windhoek, the capital of Nambia. It was a strange place…. Dusty barren streets and then a shopping mall that could be in America. Had to get shuttles everywhere at night not safe to walk. Spent the night at Joes beer house, a funky place with outdoor and indoor seating with African meet German décor. It was a carnivores heaven, Adam had a kebab of springbok, ostrich, crocodile and kudo!

Got the bus to Swakopmund the next day, four hours north on the coast. On the drive we saw some giraffes in the land off the main road, we have cows and sheep in Africa they have giraffe! Also saw a couple of baboons, a wart hog and African cows, just wetting our appetite. The place we are staying in Swakopmund looks great and it is safe to walk at night so just on our way out now to explore. It is cold at night and in the early morning but is high 20’s during the day so our plan is to hit the beach tomorrow.

Arrived in the dark last night so when we woke up this morning and walked out of the hostel to find sand dunes on one side of us and the ocean on the other it was a nice surprise! Unlike in Cuba I did realise we were on the coast but did not realise the hostel was so close to the beach. Went for a walk down the beach we thought we would take advantage of the cooler morning. However apparently they have winters in Africa and it is cooler all day, who would have thought! (safari hat still in rucksack then) Adam however refuses to admit it and is still wearing shorts an t-shirt in his words ‘I am in Africa god damn it!’ (all be it with goose pimples)

The surf is big so walks on the beach are good. Swakompmund is not what we expected Africa to be at all, you could be in any beach town. It is all very well developed, lots of restaurants and shops, the weird part is the German influence, there is lots of German architecture mixed in with modern buildings.

Spent
Desert skyDesert skyDesert sky

Our acommodation at Swakopmund
the rest of the day sorting things out for the trip. Good news is the GPS works, so we will make it back home like it or not! Had to drag Adam out of an overland supplies store before he bought more equipment for his toy. We are here until Thursday when hopefully the Landy will be here by then, so we will head Walvis Bay to collect it. Then after that we will head north into the Kaokoveld where the adventure really begins, and hopefully the safari hat can come out of the rucksack!



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

beachbeach
beach

I am NOT COLD!


1st September 2009

Adam's T-Shirt
Hi Louise, Sounds like you're having a brilliant time. Just one thing though, I couldn't help but notice Adam is wearing the same T-Shirt in all the pictures. He has taken more than 1 with him, hasn't he? Regards, Rob.
1st September 2009

cold?
I am with Ads, when in Africa wear a t-shirt and shorts, although i hear it does get cold. Glad you hve arrived well and i am loving looking at your blog and seeing the photos. Where is a giraffe one? It doesn't look like how you imagine Namibia! Maybe it will in more rural areas. Hope the landy arrives safely and on time and be careful after dark. Keep us updated and look after yourselves cos you have to meet winston some day! Anyway, big hugs and kisses. Em
1st September 2009

Looks like you've lost weight already Adam!!!!
2nd September 2009

Rob Louise does all the packing and she assures me I have more than one, beside I like green as it stops the lions seeing me
3rd September 2009

Looks good!
Hi, Glad you arrived safely. It does look quite cold over there, but not as cold as it is here. Did you go in the sea? Are there sharks? Take care, and take lots of pictures x
3rd September 2009

Hi
Hi, just got back from our travels in US and Mexico and looking forward to reading your blog about your adventures. Have a great time and stay safe, love Liz, Daryl, Matt and Jennie.
3rd September 2009

looks so nice and am glad you r all safe and sound, am here with dad and kids and we all say hi and send hugs, get adam to put on some trousers!!!!
3rd September 2009

Hope it arrived safe!
Hi - just read through blog to date and am really impressed with amount of work which went in before you even set off! Glad you arrived safe and hope the Landy arrived in same condition as when it set off! I notice you took a bit of AP in the name on container in which it was shipped. Kebab sounded delicious - not!! think I will stick to chicken! Hope weather warms up and you get to unpack sun hat. Look forward to next update. Trina x
4th September 2009

cold
i bet you are cold, you just dont want to say

Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.035s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb