Our First Bush Camp


Advertisement
Namibia's flag
Africa » Namibia » Spitzkoppe
August 18th 2011
Published: September 11th 2011
Edit Blog Post

M – To date our camps have been pretty cozy affairs with toilet blocks and showers and hot running water etc. It all changed at Spitzkoppe. The local camp site there is run by the locals with the money going to the villagers. Once inside the camp you are virtually left to your own devices. We like to put money back into the local economy whenever possible so we headed into the bush to find the site.

Unfortunately we arrived a little late in the day (a lesson learned). Although we were just in time to catch a great sunset we were not early enough to bag one of the better pitches amongst the sandstone rocks. After about 30 minutes riding round and round the rocks looking for something we settled on what looked to be a nice spot on some grass under a tree.

Unfortunately the tree was a thorn tree with 3-4 inch long thorns many of which were on the ground. After hastily removing as many thorns from the area that would be under the tent (and from my feet) we pitched the tent before we lost the light completely. Kate rustled up some fabulous smoked pork chops and we cracked open the wine – well strictly speaking we pulled the tap out of the box and turned it on the tap!

Needless to say we survived the night and awoke to a stunning sunrise reflected on the surrounding rocks. After Spitzkoppe we visited Twyfelfontaine to see the 6,000 year old (I think) carvings in the stone of he local animals. These were pretty cool. Enjoy the photos.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.235s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 62; dbt: 0.1315s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb