Cheetah Farm to Spitzkoppe, Namibia


Advertisement
Namibia's flag
Africa » Namibia » Spitzkoppe
October 18th 2010
Published: October 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Cheetah Farm to Spitzkoppe, Namibia

Another early morning, we are getting used to a wake up at 5:45, tents down & packed, breakfast at 6:30, and on the road by 7:00. The sun rose as we ate. We are also getting used to constant sun and lots of daytime heat. Love that vitamin D!

This was a long driving day on very bumpy gravel roads. Anyone thinking of doing an overland trip must have a strong constitution - no back problems. One member of our group pulled a hamstring lifting the 'eske' (ice-filled cooler) down from the truck early on in the trip, and he has suffered especially on the bumpy roads. A smooth Greyline coach, this is not. Kayla decides she needs her little down pillow underneath and a rolled up sweater behind her back. At a few particularly nasty bumps, we almost hit the roof - literally.

We drove past Brandberg mountain, ethereal in the distance due to all the dust near the surface. Terrible for photography. Stopped at Uis for more ice and supplies. Then carried on to a magical place called Spitzkoppe, a pile of rocks right in the middle of the flat barren desert. A local San Bushman guided some of us on a 1 1/2 hour walk, winding our way through the rock formations to see some San rock paintings, and telling us about his culture along the way.

Richard and another man from our group delayed their supper to climb the hill overhanging our camp. We watched the rocks turn red as the sun set, snapping many photos and video of this incredible place.

Our San guide returned with the Spitzkoppe Youth Choir to entertain us around the fire with song and dance, insisting that we join them for certain parts of the performance. No instruments, just their voices to provide the music and rhythm. We had a little fun trying to learn the four click sounds that are part of their language. 

Once again we sat outside after dark, marveling at the magic of the desert at night. Taking care, of course, to avoid the scorpions and centipedes, all the poisonous snakes for which Africa is famous, and any other night creatures that inhabit the desert. OK so maybe walking around in the dark in sandals in Africa is not such a good idea. But we do it anyway. We now have permanently dirty feet. But incredible memories.  

Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 17; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0414s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb