The Greatest Campsite Ever


Advertisement
Namibia's flag
Africa » Namibia » Spitzkoppe
August 8th 2009
Published: August 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

From Cheetah Park our next destination was quote, “The best campsite ever!” On the way there none of wanted to go for a couple of reasons: 1) we thought it was just another night of bush camping and 2) we had to leave Cheetah Park.

The drive there was through a long bumpy road in a bunch of desert with small Acacia trees every where, which means thorns in the feet! I really thought I am going to hate this place. At one point Benny, our driver, pulled over and he pointed out where we would be camping and in the distance we could see some hilly mountains in the middle of no where.

When we pulled up the area was so beautiful. It looks like a mountain climbers dream. The mountains are tall, with faces that would be easy to climb. There was a ton of hiking areas and a bouldering places too. I could not wait to get out of the truck and put on my hiking shoes!

The first hike was up through these large boulders and bushes that scratched up the legs pretty good. We got to the sheer face, which was very scary
This is the path!This is the path!This is the path!

I hiked up this area to get to the crack in the middle of this picture. It doesn't look that far but it was a hike!
to climb with no rope. To get to our final destination, I had to actually use some rock climbing experience and wedge my arms inside cracks. The rock face that we trying to climb was very slippery from animals peeing and pooping all down the side of the face. I didn’t want to let the bad smell discourage me though. When I got to the top I might have smelled like wild animal pee but the view was worth it.

We hiked back down and then climbed a smaller boulder area to watch the sunset. In the evening we all sat around a large bon fire, and laid down on the roll mats to enjoy the stars.

This place was one of the most beautiful places that I have seen or been so far!



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

A view from the topA view from the top
A view from the top

If you look in the distance at the closest rock formation you can see the small hill where we watch the sunset from.


11th August 2009

glad you are posting pictures
it's so awesome to see what you are doing!

Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0693s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb