The Famous Red Dunes


Advertisement
Namibia's flag
Africa » Namibia » Sossusvlei
August 15th 2011
Published: August 29th 2011
Edit Blog Post

M – If there is one image that dominates tourism images for Namibia is the Red Dunes at Sossusvlei. There are actually huge sand dunes that stretch up most of the coastline of Namibia but only at Sossusvlei are the sands bright red. It is believed that these sands were deposited here 5 million years ago having been washed down to the sea in the Orange River from the Kalahari. The highest dunes are some 200m high. Guess what, too get the best view you need to climb them! Climbing in sand is exactly what you would think it would be – hard work! Nevertheless we both climbed to the top of Dune45. Dune 45 is gets its name because it is 45km inside the park. The park stretches a further 100+km to the coast. The view from the top of the dune is work the climb.
In addition to the Dunes there are a number of Vleis (Water Holes) in the park. We visited a couple, Dead Vlei and Sossussvlei (after which the park is named). The former is dry and the latter actually had water in it which is apparently pretty rare. Scroll down to enjoy the photos.



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



29th August 2011

So lovely to see that you arre in the same places we loved! It is like looking at our photos again! Esp the Springbok! xx

Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0326s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb