The Diamond Coast


Advertisement
Namibia's flag
Africa » Namibia » Luderitz
April 14th 2011
Published: April 14th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Thursday April 14th, 2011

At the Dock- Luderitz, Namibia

Latitude 26 degrees 38 minutes’ south- Longitude 15 degrees 09 minutes’ east

This area of the African continent is known as the Diamond Coast and this morning we made a stop in the small fishing and mining village of Luderitz. Originally founded by German explorers in 1883, it is now a quaint backwater filled with historic buildings that make it look like a Bavarian Village that has been transported to Africa. A boomtown when Diamonds were discovered in 1908, it is almost deserted now. The country of Namibia is the second least populated by land area in the world behind Mongolia. Diamond mining has become less productive since the 1940s when most local reserves dwindled and everyone moved further south around Johannesburg where a greater concentration of diamonds were found. I did see a few boats that were setup to dredge for diamonds underwater with suction hoses and a rotating tumbler to sift for the uncut stones. I, of course, wanted to be out there diving for diamonds on the bottom of the sea, but none of the three boats I saw were actively working. In fact, as we wandered the streets looking at the architecture and visiting the Museum there was very little happening anywhere in town. I did manage to find a nice bottle of vintage wine in one of the shops for a good price. We sail soon, continuing north and are bound for another port in Namibia tomorrow. The wind is from the south, so we will run before a following sea on our journey north. I think I will go ahead and open my wine so Jane and I can toast our visit to the Diamond Coast and this deserted slice of former German influence.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



14th April 2011

LOVE IT
I have been enjoying your blog. You're close to Angola!
14th April 2011

Bon Voyage
Hey you two, lovely seeing you at our home in Simon's Town. Looks like you are having a great time, so sorry that we had to leave the Princess and would have loved to sail on, but next time. Happy sailing and keep in touch, nice pictures, are they your own ?? If so perhaps George could use them in his art works. Loads of love, George and Venitia.

Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0336s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb