Days 11-13 on house boat


Advertisement
Namibia's flag
Africa » Namibia » Katima Mulilo
August 28th 2012
Published: September 3rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Woke up early on the 28th August as we wanted to get the day going because we had a lot to do. We had to do shopping and pack the boat with things from the trailer. So Sean missioned into town to do shopping and get more cooking gas. The rest of us sorted out the boat we were going to be staying on. Ok so the boat isn't that big. If you know the size of a roof top tent when it is open, it is 2 of those in length and about 2 meters wide. It is double story, 2 roof top tents for sleeping in on top and a kitchen, table/ beds and benches, toilet and shower on the bottom. It has a 60 HP engine to power it and it comes with a driver/guide/cleaner. So it is big enough for 6 but fits 5 comfortably. My dad gets back with more things to pack but at about 11:30 we are on our way. We will be driving down the Zambezi river between Zambia and Namibia. The local villagers here don't seem to realize that these are 2 different countries and transverse them freely. The plan is to drive and fish, but when we get tired we find an island to stay on. Despite the shower not working and trying to climb onto the roof, which was a mission, it was a very unique experience. Being able to sit on the bank, get a fire going and just watch the moon come up and go down while sitting on white beaches. It was spectacular! We were on the boat for 2 nights. The fishing was shit! Like terrible!! Alex only got 3 squeakers (green ugly things that you can't eat)! This so far is going down as the worst planned fishing trip ever. Even the driver couldn't believe it as the previous clients had caught tiger fish of 6 kg's and up and we caught nothing. We traded hooks with the local children for worms and even a loaf of bread for fish to use as bait but it just wasn't meant to be. Oh well shit happens I guess. We arrived back at the lodge on the 30th. Repacked the trailer, had a proper shower and breakfast, and left for an unknown destination. We spoke to the lodge owner and left for the place she goes to get away from it all: Nambwa community camp. Once we had found the permit office after being stalled by elephants we headed for the campsite. We paid for the campsite and decided to set up camp. But what was there was totally unexpected, it was simply amazing and breath taking. We were camping on the kwondo river. The campsites are big and clean, the ablution block is 'dinky' with solar geysers. Once camp was set up we just chilled and got supper done we all disappeared to be fairly early.
Advise for the day: when life gives you lemons ask for tequila and laugh through the trouble.
Dylan.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.045s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0554s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb