Etosha National Park


Advertisement
Namibia's flag
Africa » Namibia » Etosha National Park
November 22nd 2008
Published: December 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We were up at 5:00am from our bush camp on the side of the road so that we could clear out of there early. We were going to spend the next few nights staying at campsites within Etosha National Park so we entered the park straight away that morning. Immediately we were told that there were some strict rules in Etosha such as no music playing to disturb the animals. As we would be game driving all the way through the park to get to our campsites we were also told that we should be on the lookout for animals and to buzz Pat the driver if we wanted to stop at any point to take photographs.

On the game drive we obviously saw the usual Zebra, Giraffe etc. We saw them mainly at watering holes so it at least gave us different types of pictures to take and I finally got the elusive photo of a giraffe drinking (they look so funny when they do this). We also saw some more lazy lions and some very cute meercats. It all got very exciting however when we spotted a Leopard out in the open, not too far away from us. He was out for ages walking across some rocks near a watering hole and I got loads of really good pics where you can actually see that it is a Leopard, compared to my ones of the Leopard in the tree in the Serengeti.

After hours of driving thorugh the park we arrived at our very posh campsite - Namutoni Campsite, which is in the park itself. Bear and I decided not to put the tent up straight away as it was far too hot to do anything and also we didn't want the tent getting really hot in the afternoon sun. After some lunch and a laze around by the pool about half of us decided to go out on the afternoon game drive. Unfortunately we hardly saw anything on the afternoon game drive, not even loads of usual Zebra or anything! We had taken some wine with us though so that was good. As the game viewing wasn't that great we decided to drive to Halali Campsite for a quick dip in the swimming pool before heading back. Everyone went in except for me (still can't go in pools because of my foot dressing - boo) and did hippo impressions which were hilarious.

The drive back to camp was interesting. First of all we just happened upon a pride of lions in the middle of the road and one of them helpfully hopped up on top of a rock giving us the perfect photo opportunity. We could see electrical storms in the distance and we seemed to be heading towards them. I have seen some of the best storms since I have been in Africa but nothing like this. When the rain came - boy did it come down hard. Both tarp sides were up on the back of the truck and within a minute or two everything and everyone in the back of the truck was soaked wet through. I was lying up on the covered over beach area so managed to stay dry. When we got back to camp most peoples tents were under water, including their things inside. We were OK though due to our earlier decision to not bother putting up the tent yet. We waiting for the rain to ease off a bit and then found a patch of dry land to pitch ours on. A quick, rain saoked dinner later most of us went to bed early. There was no point going to the campsite watering hole as the animals had no need to come to camp for drinking water tonight!

The next day we left fairly early to head to or next campsite in Etosha. This was on the other side of the national park and once again we game drove the whole way there. The animal sightings were few and far between but the scenary was spectacular, especially the Etsoha Pan which is basically like a huge salt plain. We arrived at Okavkuejo Campsite which was very similar to the first one, still very posh with a lovely swimming pool. I had three mint magnums in one day, I think it has taken over from my Sprite addiction. However, ridiculously the best part of the day for me is that the nurses finally took pity on me and said I should be OK to go in the pools from now on, as long as I keep my foot covered. Woo hoo! So I had my first swim in a pool in weeks was works wonders in cooling you down. I have no idea how I have survived in this heat without being able to dip in the pool every now and again. All in all it was a lovely relaxing day and I even managed to get a few postcards written and sent off within an hour as they had a post office on site.

That night all of us went to the watering hole at the campsite in the hope that we would spot some animals there. We went at about 9:00pm and waiting no more than 10 minutes until a Rhino wandered in for a drink. Yes that's right people - a Rhino!!!! We were all really excited as this is the only one of the big 5 we had yet to see. Well, that is if you don't count 'the rock' in the Serengeti which I don't! It stayed about 20/25 minutes, having a drink, having a swim and minding its own business. It was such a privaledge to see such a quiet, solitary animal mocching around without feeling like you were distrubing it in anyway. I took loads of photos, although the quality is not that great. After that I headed to bed but the lucky people who stayed up even longer got to see some more Rhinos, including a baby one.

Today we headed to Cheetah Park campsite. This is a place that rescues Cheetahs (they have three) and you can go and see them, stroke them, watch them eat etc. They also have some more 'wild' cheetahs who live on their land, are free to roam but who also get fed by them as they have little hunting ability. I am not a big fan of seeing them like this personally. It takes all the fun out of it. I would much rather happen upon three cheetahs in the wild as we did in the Serengeti than see them in someones back garden and stroke them. So, I didn't take any photos and didn't stroke them, just watched with mild curiosity, all the others seemed impressed enough though.

I have been on cook group tonight and it will be the last meal we make as a cook group before the trip ends. Makes it seem even closer to the end of the trip thinking about that. We have a bush camp again tomorrow before hitting Swakomund for four days which everyone is really looking forward to. If only because we stay in a hostel and get to sleep in a bed for four nights! The luxury!!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0432s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb