22 June 2008 Windhoek to Sachsenheim Guest Farm


Advertisement
Namibia's flag
Africa » Namibia » Etosha National Park
July 17th 2008
Published: July 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Otjikoto Lake NamibiaOtjikoto Lake NamibiaOtjikoto Lake Namibia

Otjikoto Lake was formed when the roof of a limestone cave collapsed. The lake was supposed to be “bottomless”, but is now know to be in excess of 140 m deep. In 1915 the retreating German army dumped a number of cannons and other military equipment and ammunition into the lake. Some it was retrieved and now on display at the Tsumeb Museum.
On Sunday morning we started the 516 km north via the towns of Okahandja, Otjwarongo and Tsumeb to the Sachsenheim Guest Farm (+264 67 230011) (Cost: N$60.00 pppn + $15.00 pv) (Location: S18 44.809 E17 15.670)
On Namibian roads it is wise to be on the lookout for animals next to road. The biggest danger is in Kudus that can easily jump a 3 m fence to cross the road. You really don’t want a Kudu through the front window. The second problem is warthogs. A warthog under you vehicle lift the wheels of the road, you loose control and end up in the ditch.
If you keep your eyes open you may also be as lucky as we were when we saw four cheetah's on the stretch between Okahandja and Otjivarongo. We pulled over and while other cars were racing past, we enjoyed a very rare sighting or a very rare species. Game viewing in the bush is a bit different to game parks or zoos. The animals are in their natural habitat and well camouflaged. If you speed, you will not see a thing.

We stopped over in Otjivarongo for a late breakfast.
About 20 km north of Tsumeb on the B1 we stopped over at the Otjikoto Lake. The lake was formed when the roof of a limestone cave collapsed. The lake was supposed to be “bottomless”, but is now know to be in excess of 140 m deep. In 1915 the retreating German army dumped a number of cannons and other military equipment and ammunition into the lake. Some it was retrieved and now on display at the Tsumeb Museum.

The Sachsenheim Guest Farm is located a few kilometres past the turn-off to Etosha. We were well received and camped on a nice campsite with a lawn. It is winter in the Southern Hemisphere, but I am sure the pool can be put to good use in summer. The owners are Burt and Maria Sachse. Burt’s dad tamed the bush and established the farm during the 1950’s. Sachsenheim has accommodation in double or single rooms and camping sites with electricity. There is also a bar and restaurant.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Sachsenheim Guest FarmSachsenheim Guest Farm
Sachsenheim Guest Farm

Nice grassy camping sites


Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.052s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb