Mozambique - Zimbabwe


Advertisement
Mozambique's flag
Africa » Mozambique
November 30th 2009
Published: December 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hello again!

This will have to be a very quick entry - its almost dinner time here, and if I doddle - dinner will be gone before I get any!

Dad thanks for the info on the parasite! I'm glad to hear your home safe and sound! I have already bought the drugs for that parasite - which only set me back about 3$ US - not too bad.
Aunt Sharon - thanks for writing! So nice to hear from you! I will be thinking about all of you ALL day on December 12th and wishing I could be there!!
Dennis - your messages always make me laugh! Keep them coming! I hadn't heard about Sallinger, that's awful, but it sounded in your message like the recovery was coming along so thats good! I'm also super sad about missing the work pot-luck!!! 😞 Hope it was delicious!

And now for the update:
After spending the morning in Lilongwe, basically just using the internet and buying some souvenirs, we walked back to our campsite and spent the afternoon by the pool - real tough life I know!
We left Lilongwe pretty early, and had a huge drive day ahead. We crossed into Mozambique about an hour two into the drive. We stopped only for pee stops and lunch on the road. Our campsite that night was another bush camp which was awful! The flies were SO bad, it was almost unbearable! Once we got our tent set up, Britt and I just hung out in the tent until the sun went down.
We left the bush camp quite early as well for another long day of driving.

We left Mozambique and entered Zimbabwe this day. Most people got a double entry VISA as we will be leaving Zim just for an afternoon when we are at Victoria Falls in order to go over and see the Zambian side, however...apparently Canada has done something wrong recently because Canadians are no longer allowed to get a double entry visa. So our Visa was double the price (roughly) of the Aussie Visa ($75 US dollars) PLUS if we want to go over to Zambia for a day, we will need to pay another 75 dollars to get back into Zimbabwe!
Not pleased about that!
In the afternoon we stopped at an orphanage that Oasis sponsors. It was really neat to see. This place was much bigger and nicer (actually you can't even compare the two) to where we were volunteering. This was an ACTUAL orphanage where the kids lived. They were really cute, and we got to play with them for about an hour while the truck was getting some work done.

We got to our next location which was called "Bird Park" that afternoon. This place was really cool! One of my favorite camsites so far! (Other than all the birds). The owners were amazing! The nicest people ever! They even have 2 lions they keep basically as pets! which was really cool to see the lions interact with the owners. The female was pregnant and we were hoping she'd have her cubs while we were there, but she didn't.
That first night there was our "fancy dress" party. First we had our BBQ which was delicious! And then we all got into our costumes that had been picked out for us! Mine wasnt too bad..but some people had to wear some pretty ridiculous outfits.
It was a really good party night, until 2 of the guys on our trip got in an argument and one punched the other in the mouth. It was a stupid situation which as resulted in the punch-er being kicked off the trip! It was really too bad... but the night was still a success I would say since it ended with a dance party on the truck until about 4 in the morning!

The next day was a very relaxing day. there were a couple of excursions we could do, but they involved seeing animals we have already seen, so I decided to save my money.

We left bird park this morning at about 10 am, and drove for about 5 hours to this campsite 'antelope park'. This place is REALLY cool as well! We had an information session this afternoon and have signed up for some pretty cool stuff! I am doing a lion walk, a cub feeding, watching a lion (grown) feeding, a elephant training thing, as well as a night game drive, where they let one of their lions practice hunting, in hopes that it can be released into the wild some day soon. So we are hoping to see a kill!

That is pretty much all for now. The internet is quite expensive here, but since we are here for 4 nights, I'm sure I will be back on to update about the lion interactions!

Bye for now!
-Denise


Advertisement



Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0783s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb