Barra Beach = Beautiful


Advertisement
Mozambique's flag
Africa » Mozambique
September 12th 2008
Published: October 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Barra Beach - CabinsBarra Beach - CabinsBarra Beach - Cabins

The cabins we stayed in at Barra Beach
From Mount Mulanje it was a very long drive into Mozambique; border crossings, too many potholes and hours in the car. Our first stop was Vilankulos for one night - not much to do there, walked around the town a little, used the internet and we had dinner at the restaurant. The nicest part was that we ended up having rooms of our own - a nice luxury after sleeping in tents for so long!

But the really best part of Mozambique was Barra Beach in Inhambane. How to explain Barra... well, I guess the most important part is that it's right on the beach. We each had our own huts with views of the oceans and there was a communal kitchen hut where we cooked dinner and ate. The communal hut looked out over the dunes onto the beach. At night we fell asleep to the sound of the surf. We spent four glorious nights in Barra. Oh and did I mention we hired a local as a helper - he cleaned, did the dishes, did our wash... A real vacation from my vacation!

I spent the days in Barra diving... an amazing experience! The fish life was
Building Sand Castles - BarraBuilding Sand Castles - BarraBuilding Sand Castles - Barra

Building sand castles on the beach
not as great as other places I've been, but it's the whale migration season so when you're underwater you have the whales songs to keep you company through out the dive. Pretty amazing! On the last dive I did we could hear the whales singing and the dolphins clicking.

We spent lots of time on the beach and I was crisped by the end of it. 30 minutes sitting on the beach at 9AM and I was completely burnt - the sun in Mozambique is insane! One day of sunstroke - luckily the day we were in the car and I was fine. I'm actually turning brown - pretty exciting!

A drive through stinky Maputo (it smells of sewage and there is garbage in piles everywhere!) - the capital of Mozambique - and then we're off to Kruger.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Palm treesPalm trees
Palm trees

Beautiful palm trees everywhere
Dinner at BarraDinner at Barra
Dinner at Barra

The crew on our last night in Barra
Woman carrying fruit - MaputoWoman carrying fruit - Maputo
Woman carrying fruit - Maputo

We spent 2 hours in Maputo. Not a very nice place; it reeked and there was garbage everywhere. If you look to the side of the picture you'll see a pile of garbage. Don't think I ever need to go back there...


5th October 2008

Mozambique
Reminds me of Dylan's song :"Want to spend some time in Mozambique, where the sky is aqua blue....." but I guess not inthe capital!
5th October 2008

Mozambique
It reminds me of Bob Dylan "I like to spend some time in Mozambique The sunny sky is aqua blue" etc..

Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0587s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb