Corrupt Mozambican Police!


Advertisement
Mozambique's flag
Africa » Mozambique » Southern » Maputo
April 17th 2009
Published: April 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Haha forgot to add this to the post below...

When we we in Maputo the time before, last week, we had a first hand experience of the corrupt police force! Ruth had told us things but we thought she must've been exxagurating, like you'll think I am now...but I swear this is the complete truth.

We were driving home from watching the football, Ben was driving, and the policeman pulled us over. Ben gave him his license, which he held onto, and then proceeded to tell us that we'd driven over the line on a red light. The light had turned red so we'd stopped, apparently over this "line" - funny coz there are no road markings in Maputo :P.

He said we would have to go to the police station to pay a fine. Ben said OK, because he knew the policeman was probably bluffing, and sure enough the policeman tried to tell us that if we paid HIM the fine now we wouldnt have to go all the way to the station. We refused, and he then tried the tactic "the reason I wont just let you go is because when we go to the station I will get twenty percent commission, so maybe you just pay me the twenty percent and then ill let you go". We refused again, so this time he tried to get us to buy him a beer and then he'd let us off!! Ruth had told us sometimes you have to bribe them, but that's ridulous! He finally gave the license back and let us go, but Del told us that they were pulling us over coz we had GP South African plates so they know we're tourists, and they really dont like Afrikaans, and because we didnt pay this bloke or buy him a beer as we drove away we radioed all his mates in the area to pull us over again and do the exact same conversation.

Ridiculous huh!!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.057s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb