24 hours


Advertisement
Africa » Mozambique » Southern » Inhambane
October 7th 2007
Published: December 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

00 :12. The sound of a dentist’s drill penetrating my temple wakes me up. Covered in sweat I sigh, it's just a dream. It’s not a dentist’s drill; there are mosquitoes in the tent. A wild hunt begins and ends in handclapping, then silence. 02 :23. Something has awoken the dogs. Loud barking ricochet in the distance as every dog in the village joins the cacophony. A dog yelps as his owner g... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 46, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Beira beachBeira beach
Beira beach

Not the nicest beach in Mozambique, more a place for the women to clean fish in the days and for young men to get drunk in the evenings. But a nice old cannon, they had.
Colourful soft drink spotColourful soft drink spot
Colourful soft drink spot

In the illage of Endoro they supported RENAMO instead of the goernment. I bought a capalanha, (a piece of cloth) here with a print of the RENAMO leader. The next day we found one with FRELIMO and the president on, which we (to great amuse of the staring crowds) used to sleep on. In bed with the president.
And it burns, burns, burns.And it burns, burns, burns.
And it burns, burns, burns.

In the dry periode before the rains start, wildfires scorch the land. Another great reason not to bushcamp.
Inside the shipwreckInside the shipwreck
Inside the shipwreck

Kids playing in Vilankulo
weapon artweapon art
weapon art

A statue outside Maputo made out of tanks and other armed vehicles. The artists has a workshop in Maputo where one can see small statues made of kalashnikows and guns. They een made a chair of AK47:s that they donated to the previous pope He approved Maybe that's where he sits while he ponders anti-abortion thoughts.
The Zambezi RaceThe Zambezi Race
The Zambezi Race

Bridging the Zambezi was a monster of a bridge. 4 km of overloaded bicycles, woman with goats and small boys cleverly placed along the bridge as pitstops, selling softdrinks and peunuts.
Going to the moviesGoing to the movies
Going to the movies

We bought popcorns and all, but the Tofo-cinema in Inhambane wouldn't open any way.
Playing pool is coolPlaying pool is cool
Playing pool is cool

The lax staff at the derelict Baobab beach. semi-bad value, but still best value in town. Sounds like a place for us.
For the futureFor the future
For the future

As travelling moves into a new age of people doing their best to stand out as weird and unique, even more. This is how I'll stand out for my next journey. Crossing DRC on a unicycle, or maybe cross Greenland naked on stilts. Though choice, I'll let Travelblog know when the journey begins.
The yellow 25l container.The yellow 25l container.
The yellow 25l container.

The most common object on the Mozambican women. Must have been some NGO spreading them over the country or some very successful Chinese campain.
The spread of Islam in AfricaThe spread of Islam in Africa
The spread of Islam in Africa

I haven't yet figured out why Islam is so popular among the African men, but it surely is on the rise in almost every single country. The African women tend to turn to Christianity instead.
RumbaRumba
Rumba

Dance moves on the beach.
Down Town BeiraDown Town Beira
Down Town Beira

Aili cruising around in search of the best Pastelaria in town. This is the main square where the two best ones are located. They both have excellent coffee and more pastries than you could wish for. Thank you Portugal for an excellent pastrie-heritage.
BeiraBeira
Beira

Old derelict buildings, sea-breeze, Cabo-verdean music and a lot of care-free beer-drinking. A city in my taste.
Vilankulo 2Vilankulo 2
Vilankulo 2

Hightide.
Vilankulo 3Vilankulo 3
Vilankulo 3

Between tides.
Roadside hutRoadside hut
Roadside hut

Somewhere under the rainbow, south of Inhambane.
7:th highest infant mortality rate in the world7:th highest infant mortality rate in the world
7:th highest infant mortality rate in the world

The infant mortality rate in Mozambique is; 110 out of 1000 born children. Quite stark contrast to the 2,8 out of 1000 born children back home in Sweden.
Before SunriseBefore Sunrise
Before Sunrise

Beira was cold.
In a buffalo stanceIn a buffalo stance
In a buffalo stance

Aili plowing through a herd of cows, south of Maputo.
Even the smallestEven the smallest
Even the smallest

This ingenious makeshift wheelbarrow for kids is used to drag water home to the family by the absolute smallest ones. Even a three or four year old has to help out in the time-consuming daily process of getting water.



14th December 2007

Storytelling at its best!
As usual we are spoilt by your under the skin photos and rich storytelling, this semi-journal mode really works well. I had to smile at your note on random people throwing Portugese greetings at you along the road, the exact same words and experience that you will have in Timor Leste.
14th December 2007

Ey
Ey däm va feta bilder. Ni skulle haft en GPS
18th December 2007

wellwellwell
no joke mr.Bobbie! It dont stop huh? Your part african by now. I admire all your adventures wish to share some more with you in the future. miss you, and hope things continue going well. O.k. peace and good luck!
11th April 2011
Cashew madness

niceee
haha i was in moza. like 2 1/2 months ago had some cashews so good have you had the wine they make from it?

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0548s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb