Morocco Day 7


Advertisement
Morocco's flag
Africa » Morocco
October 21st 2011
Published: October 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Les Jardins de SkouraLes Jardins de SkouraLes Jardins de Skoura

view from one of the roof terraces
Day 7

Today was a day of leisure at Les Jardins de Skoura. The building is an old one made in the traditional style of the area using clay and straw. The walls are very thick and the windows small meaning that it stays cool in summer and warm in winter. There are lots of nooks and crannies where you can while away the time, including two roof terraces and tented areas in the garden, where we have had our meals. Rob found the hammocks very comfortable! Caroline, the French lady who owns Les Jardins, makes everyone feel very welcome and her two dogs and cat add to the homely feel.

There is not much to do in the near area, with the exception of some ruined Kasbahs to visit and we decided against that today. The weather has turned and we have had a bit of rain and earlier in the day there was a very cold wind that blew up. This morning the staff were busy putting all the non-waterproof furniture and cushions under cover and made a valiant attempt to tie curtains round the roof terraces against the bitter wind.

This afternoon the wind had dropped and we were able to take some mint tea (absolutely delicious) in the garden, which is well-stocked with pomegranates, olives, jacarandas, and various other fruits, vegetables and flowering plants. Perhaps surprisingly, roses seem to grow well here and yesterday we made a brief stop in a town which is known for its rose products. Rose water in particular is widely used in Morocco as a refreshing perfume and also for babies with fever.

Tomorrow we go into the mountains and there is already snow on the mountaintops so we expect to be making use of our cold weather clothing.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

BouganvilliaBouganvillia
Bouganvillia

Not the usual bright pink


Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 74; dbt: 0.085s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb