MONKEYING AROUND IN MIDELT


Advertisement
Morocco's flag
Africa » Morocco
April 23rd 2009
Published: April 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Morocco


DAY 5

We are once again traveling by private mini van up to the Middle Atlas Mountains (about 4 hours)
and the area is populated with nomadic shepherds attending to their flocks. We travel through cedar forest and saw the Barbary Apes, North Africa's only monkey. We travel through the scenic valley between the Middle and the High Atlas ranges.

We stopped for tea/coffee in a very modern European Swiss village that caters to the Moroccan Winter Ski Season.

We stopped just outside the town of Midelt in a very remote but beautiful hotel that was fashioned after a small castle but a typical Moroccan Kabash.

This area is the apple capital of Morocco. We had apple jam for breakfast.

We took a short walked out on the rocky plain and in the distance could see snow capped mountains of the High Atlas mountains.

The evening was spent in the hotel compound where we enjoyed tajine again and good conversation with our fellow travelers. We had our own private dining room with a fire in the fireplace that added to the atmosphere.

The weather so far has been cooler than expected but ranging from 60-70 F and 15-25 C during the day and much cooler at night. But being here in the mountain the temperature has dipped that layers of clothing and fleeces are needed even at midday.

We also visited the Kasbah Myriam, a carpet and embroidery workshop run by Franciscan Nuns who provide sustainable employment and education to local Berber Women. The work is first quality and 100% reversible - absolutely beautiful.






Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

TOUR  DE MAROCTOUR  DE MAROC
TOUR DE MAROC

Traffic was stopped for about 30 minutes while the bike race went throught the village.
COLD IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERECOLD IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE
COLD IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE

We are in the apple capital of Morocco in the valley between the Middle and High Atlas and the weather has turn cold with the icy winds coming off the mountains.
DINNER, WINE AND FINE COMPANYDINNER, WINE AND FINE COMPANY
DINNER, WINE AND FINE COMPANY

TAJINE ONCE AGAIN! LISA & KAYLEN, DENNIS, LEISHA AND RACHEL, PENNY & FERMIN, RACHEL - USA ANGIE AND FRAN


Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0222s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb