The tip of Africa!!


Advertisement
Morocco's flag
Africa » Morocco » Tangier-Tétouan » Tangier
December 2nd 2005
Published: December 6th 2005
Edit Blog Post

M is for Morocco. And Tangier, it's northern-most port and the gateway between Europe is my first taste of Africa. In Tangier you can experience your worst nightmare and an enchanting fantasy in the same convoluted maze of streets and alleys that make up this ancient town.

As a port town, and with a long history of changing powers, Tangier now has a full mix of cultures, peoples, languages and everything that goes along with it. On the streets arabic is the language of preference, but one also hears french, spanish, english and the native tongue of the Berber people who inhabit the surrounding mountains. Tea houses are the popular hangouts, where people go for discussion, to watch religious broadcasts blaring from television sets, trading hash, hashish and opium, and of course to sip away on sweet mint-tea and coffee.

At night is when the streets really come to life and it feels more akin to a jungle than some part of the civilised world. I saw in one night: stone-fights, open brawls, traffic carnage. One man ran up to me, prostrated himself on the ground and kissed my foot as I walked by!

As a foreigner you get hustled. That is simply a part of life here. And dealing with it can be part of the fun or the pain of it. "Shukran, Imchi!" will usually short unwanted attention. But on the whole, the Moroccans are a friendly people, despite aggressive tendencies and it is a wild and addictive place to be.

M is for Muslim, M is for Mint tea that is so sweet and good. M is for Medina; the myriad of narrow pedestrian alleys that make up the old town. M is for Mosaics tiled ornately into buildings. M is for Mosques that both impress with decoration and design, and traumatise with 5am prayer-call. M is for Mugged by 'syringe' bearing women who, after administering a temporary tattoo using Hannas plant extract, allow release on payment of a few dirhams. M is for Ripoff!
M is for More to do, more to see, more to eat.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Ahammed...Ahammed...
Ahammed...

the crafty carpet-seller


7th December 2005

Morocco
Hey Stefano, really like your write-up and photos of Morocco, you should be a travel writer! Sorry we didn't end up meeting again in Tangier. The thought of staying out for any longer after dark with all the hassels from groups of local guys was too much for me! Definately not a hardened travel like you! Looking forward to hearing about the rest of your travels. Carla

Tot: 0.374s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 30; qc: 132; dbt: 0.1569s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb