El Minzah. Non paid advertisement.


Advertisement
Morocco's flag
Africa » Morocco » Tangier-Tétouan » Tangier
September 22nd 2019
Published: September 22nd 2019
Edit Blog Post

Seems like a fairly lazy day is on the horizon. Admittedly yesterday was quite a long day and although a significant proportion was just sitting in the car it was tiring. As a consequence, or just because we can, not a lot is on the agenda.

I went out last night and found some almonds for Lee and about 8 little pastries for me (something does not sound right about that deal!), had a delightful espresso at the Cafe de France and snuggled down for the evening. I like the Cafe de France more than the very well known Cafe de Paris (used in the Bourne films and known as the artist and intelligentsia haunt for several decades). The Paris is too well frequented by old and slightly intimidating men who all smoke too much and not only tailor made cigarettes but a better reason is from the Cafe de France the view is to the Cafe de Paris and that’s better than the return vista.

Whilst Lee had a rest I walked to the Grand Mosque, the Kasbah and Médina. Although it’s virtually impossible not to get at ‘disorientated’ at the very least it is a fascinating experience to walk around the labyrinth that lay at the heart of these ancient locations. I thought bearings to and from the Grand Mosque minaret would be enough to act as some form of location beacon but any sky vista is completely out of the question as the lanes and alleyways very soon obliterate any sky views. Using the Kasbah helps as it has the old walls and views to the harbour so I managed to get back but that yes/no/maybe has an element of alarm to it. If I thought about it following the fish smell would have got to the fish market and from there I know my way. As well as fish there were butchers specialising is scrawny chickens, several that sold only pluck, one that sold only bones, another just tongues and lots that sold excellent looking meat that was cut up as you watched and inevitably ground. I could recognise T-bone and rump steaks as well as chuck and skirt but everything I saw sold was ground as you watched. The fruit shops are very impressive along with the ubiquitous olive stores and spice vendors. They look colourful and even smell good but after the fish market everything did. I bought some lovely looking raspberries for less than $1 per punnet. Aimless meandering of the market inevitably leads to vendors attempting to seduce you with wares and goods and some are tempting (watch out Jake I think I’ve found a hat for you) but I can easily walk past most. The hashish sellers are a little more persistent but even they eventually get the message and fall back into that amicable Moroccan nature we have experienced plenty of.

Lee has sort of come good, well she’s now awake and vertical. Oops spoke too soon. She plugged in and meditating. I’m in trouble now as it is difficult to tell the difference between asleep and meditating.

Tomorrow we head for Rabat which is about 2 hours away by fast train. The fast train goes about 3/4 of the way there and the last bit necessitates a change of trains but even still it should be a pleasant and easy enough journey. We did not spend a lot of time in Rabat last time we were in Morocco so it will be good to play tourist again. There are a few sights I’d like to see and experience but as with most places in Morocco the walk around the old town area is peppered with experiences and hidden delightful surprises. Our hotel looks very comfortable and it is just inside the Médina which should mean we don’t get lost or if and when we do we can walk out and around searching for ‘our’ gate. There is a hop on hop off bus here in Tangiers but obviously so many of the places are simply unthinkable for a bus. As such there are only 3 tours per day whereas in Barcelona they must number in the several hundred. I know some tourist highlights are outside the old town in Rabat so it may be taxi time or serious walk time we’ll see.

Well it’s sneak off and ramble time again. I’ll head down the Boulevard Pasteur towards King Mohammad VI (that’s for Julie) and past the Cafe de Champs Élysées (well probably not past without a brief call in) and along the waterfront for a while.

Ciao for now.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.292s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0661s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb