Trip to Africa, the Fourth continent


Advertisement
Morocco's flag
Africa » Morocco » Tangier-Tétouan » Tangier
September 20th 2016
Published: December 13th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 35.7728, -5.8235

Okay, today is when we actually set foot on the fourth continent. Hopped the ferry at 10:30 arriving in Tangier at 12:00. We traversed the Straight of Gibraltar (waters where the Mediterranean and Atlantic meet). The seas were confused near land (means waves not moving in a consistent train), especially at Spain. The 500 of so foot ferry rocked a good deal, which surprised us given the size of the boat. Yet, we made it unscathed.

Tangier is not the quant little village some may expect. Much of it is a relatively large vivacious city. Most of our time, however, was spent in the Medina (old town), which very well could fit with expectations both in terms of the town and the behavior of the inhabitants. There were a great number of small vendors selling most any foodstuff one may imagine as well as tourist souvenirs. The later group also includes "free merchants", i.e. hustlers who badger the entirely "innocent" tourist.

We'd like to make a rookie observation about Moroccans. Based upon our brief time with them, they appear more laid back (less arrogant) than the Turks. We saw absolutely no burkas, but the considerable majority of all women wore a scarf. There were no scantily dressed women as in Turkey. We prefer these folks.

We know there was a period with no posts, and now we may be overwhelming you. Sorry folks, but we are at the whim of the internet (and our cavalier Swiss host). After this one, we will send another that will arrive during your sleep. Then our schedule will be more regular.


Advertisement



20th September 2016

I love this picture so does Alex!

Tot: 0.222s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 39; dbt: 0.0496s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb