Spain/Morocco 2014


Advertisement
Morocco's flag
Africa » Morocco » Tangier-Tétouan » Chefchaouen
March 10th 2014
Published: March 10th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Rock of GibraltarRock of GibraltarRock of Gibraltar

Goodbye Spain, hello Morocco.
Week 2

Found the truck stop OK and met our fellow travellers, only four other motorhomes so quite a manageable group size. The ferry crossing from Algeciras to Tangier Med was very calm thank goodness. We managed to arrive in one piece and had completed our paperwork correctly – there is a lot of red tape as we had to re-register the motorhome for our stay as well as fill in our details on umpteen forms. The northern part of Morocco was quite a surprise as it is very mountainous and green! Our first stay was at Motril on the coast, the beach and promenade are quite pristine but the same can't be said for the campsite. It was absolutely packed with motorhomes on every available space, mostly from France, obviously no fire regulations here.

From there we moved south to Chefchaouen, known as the 'blue town' for obvious reasons. The drive was interesting along mountainous roads with plenty of potholes and uneven edges. The campsite was a little less crowded and we could actually find a space to sit together in the sun. The town is situated on the edge of a hillside and we had to go down a lot of steps to reach the main square. It was full of interesting alleys, attractive buildings and the souk was quite small which made it a pleasure to wander round. We went back in the evening for a meal at The Magic Lantern which had an authentic Moroccon atmosphere. So far so good!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

MartilMartil
Martil

Mixture of old and new
MartilMartil
Martil

Fishing boats
MartilMartil
Martil

Camel ride on the beach
ChefchaouenChefchaouen
Chefchaouen

Entrance gateway
ChefchaouenChefchaouen
Chefchaouen

Very steep steps to village center
ChefchaouenChefchaouen
Chefchaouen

Donkeys do all the hard work here
ChefchaouenChefchaouen
Chefchaouen

Houses in shades of blue
SoukSouk
Souk

Everything is organic!
The blue townThe blue town
The blue town

More blue houses
ChefchaouenChefchaouen
Chefchaouen

View across the valley


Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 16; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0551s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb