ROCK THE KASBAH IN RABAT


Advertisement
Morocco's flag
Africa » Morocco » Rabat-Salé-Zemmour-Zaer » Rabat
April 3rd 2007
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After a 3 hour train trip from Fes, we rocked the Kasbah in Rabat!

Release of a New Mukluk Music Video will hopefully be premiered in Madrid! Come back to Rabat Blog for private screening!

We entered the Kasbah by the Bab Oudaia, gate of the Kasbah, and toured the walled Kasbah with a self-appointed guide (100 dirhams later, we were thankfully ceremoniously dropped off at the Andalusian Gardens). The Bab Oudaia, which is considered to be the most beautiful in the Moorish World, lived up to expectations, although the gate was closed (along with most other tourist sights across Morocco) given the Prophet's Birthday. The Kasbah, the citadel of Almohad, Merenid and Andalusian towns, has the oldest Mosque in the city, and an interesting array of decorated doors.

The walls were white washed with blue accents! On a warm and sunny day, it was as if we were hanging out on the Mediterranean Sea, not the Atlantic Coast. We enjoyed lovely seascapes from the terrace and watched kids fishing, surfing and boogie-boarding below the cliffs.

We walked through the medina, which is wedged on two sides by the sea and the river, and visited the souks,
Bab  OudaiaBab  OudaiaBab Oudaia

Grand Entrance to Kasbah.
and then we took a taxi to the Hassan Mosque and Mohammed V Mausoleum.

Guarded by costumed guards on Arabian horses, we entered the complex, which was crowded with Moroccans paying homage to their former King. As this is one of the few important shrines in Morocco to be visited by non-muslims, we visited the shrine guarded by costumed guards at each entrance and each corner. An Imam read from the Koran as the splendor of the architecture was admired.

A huge mineret dominates the view of the city, although unfinished since the Almohad period (1199).

When we got back to our hotel, Sofitel Diwan Rabat, we arranged a driver for our trip back to Casablanca Mohammed V Airport to return to Madrid early the next morning, when our frenetic pace of sightseeing is sure to resume! Believe it or not, the Travelling Canucks are chilling out in Morocco! When in Morocco, do as the Moroccans do!

We had the pleasure of meeting many Moroccans, mostly at the train station or on the train! The Travelling Canucks were met with "Big Welcome" everywhere we travelled in Morocco as many Moroccans we spoke to told us how much they liked Canadians. We are proud to be Canadian.

The next morning, we were met by very high security at Casablanca´s airport. Very reassuring! Spent all our dirhams at the airport on chocolate bars given currency restrictions.

Bslemah (Goodbye)!



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

View of Rabat from KasbahView of Rabat from Kasbah
View of Rabat from Kasbah

Small boats ferry to Sale opposite Rabat


4th April 2007

Thanks for the camel
It was delightful meeting you at the hotel in Fez, glad to hear the rest of the trip went well. I left for Paris the morning I saw you and spent a glorious 2 days there and then returned to LA. My luggage decided it wasn't trhu traveling so it went on to D.C. Oh well...... Anyway, thank you for the camel head. It is truly dsgusting, just the photo of something trruly Moroccan that my college daughter needs to receive from me. One must keep up the gross pretenses! Take caare, Lisa
5th April 2007

awesome a mukluk music video!!! how many chocolate bars did you have to eat? and what do squid brains taste like (re. postcard)?

Tot: 0.217s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 18; qc: 101; dbt: 0.1338s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb