Dades Valley


Advertisement
Morocco's flag
Africa » Morocco » Meknès-Tafilalet » Todra Gorge
February 13th 2012
Published: February 13th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Today we are driving the Dades Gorge, which is only 100kms from Todra Gorge. It is not as deep, but has magnificent rock formations running into the river valley below. This valley is full of Birch trees (what their use is I am not sure) but they look simply beautiful scattered amongst the small farms and sandy houses.

The road at the end turns extremely windy. Sharp, 180 degree bends are stone-walled into the edge of the mountain. Climbing up, we reach the view at the end of the gorge, where the edges narrow sharply with a clear, rocky stream flowing between. Kathy is pushing the Lancia through its paces like James May.

Leaving Dades Gorge we drive down Dades Valley, passing the usual Palmeraies, until we come upon Ouarzazate. This is a very strange town. It has charming, tree-lined boulevards; extravagant hotels and nightclubs; and (what!) a Movie Studio. I kid you not. Turning off the road and a little while on, we head up the hills to Ait Benhaddou, a Kasbah used by Hollywood for films such as Lawrence of Arabia, Jewel of the Nile, Gladiator, Kingdom of Heaven and Prince of Persia.

You may think this would be a very kichy little town, but surprisingly, even though the touts and the shopkeepers are incredibly annoying, we find it very pleasant. The locals are friendly, our Riad is inexpensive ($75 for bed and breakfast), a gracious French man sells beer under the counter and Barcelona and Real Madrid are playing on TV.

The scene is a perfect postcard picture. The Kasbah melts into bright orange and red stone, snow clad mountains provide a stunning backdrop, and a river runs right through the middle.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0985s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb