East Morocco


Advertisement
Morocco's flag
Africa » Morocco » Meknès-Tafilalet » Merzouga
January 14th 2014
Published: January 16th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Today we moved from Fes across the primary mountain range in Morocco called the Atlas Mountains. We are moving into Berber dominated area. The Berbers are the original people of this area and other parts of North Africa, named such by the Greeks who called everyone not Greek barbarians. The Berber name is a derivation of the word amongst several dialects over time. The Berber language was just added as an official language of Morocco along with Arabic and French. The Berbers even have their own calendar and we are here during their New Year. No major celebrations though as this is an agricultural society and very poor.

On the way we stopped in a town called Infram which many have called the Switzerland of Morocco. It was very cute and many buildings had the Swiss look. This is where lions roamed in great numbers until the Romans cleared them out and took them to the Coliseum in Rome.

Our next stop was to see Barbary Apes. These guys are so cute eating peanuts from our hands.

But with all the fun stuff today, nothing compares to riding camels in the Sahara desert at sunset. This was my first camel ride ever! The camels here in west Africa are called dromadary meaning one hump. It was so cool although I have to admit screaming a bit as the camel stood up. But then I got used to ramble and we headed out to some dunes. We got off and most climbed a dune for picture but I fell going up the dune (big surprise, huh?). We were laughing so hard and then I did a sand angel. Then the camel driver, Omar, came and drug me done the dune by my feet! I had such a great time!

Tomorrow sunrise on the dunes!


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0262s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb