To the coast at Essaouira


Advertisement
Morocco's flag
Africa » Morocco » Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz » Essaouira
November 14th 2010
Published: November 17th 2010
Edit Blog Post

The port at EssaouiraThe port at EssaouiraThe port at Essaouira

A hive of activity
After spending a few relaxating days in the Atlas Mountains we travelled to the coast at Essaouira being a journey of about 4 hours. Parts of the journey were across desert and the arid landscape reminded me of Kuwait, in the Middle East ,where we spent some time many years ago. Essaouira, also known as Mogador, is a most likeable seaside town which is dominated by the medieval-looking battlements surrounding the medina. It reminded me so much of St Malo in Brittanny with parts of its town wall being adjacent to the sea.
We stayed in a very friendly riad known as Riad Watier situated conveniently in the medina and where we had two enjoyable evening meals round a large dining table with other guests. Good to exchange travel stories.
A trip to Essaouira is not complete without a walk along the beach with its miles of golden sands as well as a stroll round the port where there is so much activity in all shapes and forms.
Essaouira has a calm and relaxing feel to it and is a great place to spend a few days by the sea if you want to escape the hustle and bustle of Marrakech.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

The battlementsThe battlements
The battlements

Along parts of the battlements are a collection of European cannon presented by 19th century merchants


Tot: 0.173s; Tpl: 0.025s; cc: 12; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0826s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb