Casablanca


Advertisement
Morocco's flag
Africa » Morocco » Grand Casablanca » Casablanca
February 17th 2018
Published: February 18th 2018
Edit Blog Post

I,m in Africa !

The journey was not difficult although I can,t say I slept to much . Suzanne met us for lunch in Montreal and we had a great visit . All is well with the Bourasa family .

We arrived here at 6 am and had no trouble finding an ATM a and the train into town but the train was delayed nearly an hour for some reason . We didn't, get to the hotel until nearly 11am . It is a comfortable enough space within easy walking distance to the Medina and the Hussan II Mosque . We walked and wandered all day and found the people we encountered to be pleasant and helpful . .They seem relaxed .The sun was shining and our coats were too warm ...except when the wind was coming off the ocean (the Atlantic). Around 6 we went for a nap then headed out to supper @ 9pm. The city was starting to change pace and there were many young people about as the next day ,Friday, wouldn,t be a work day. For whatever reason we had Senegalese food . I crashed at 11 and slept 10 hours.

Friday we had a leisurely breakfast at the hotel then took the tram to the city hall area . We decided to check out the Cathedral that had been built in 1930 . It is HUGE !!!! I would guess 2 blocks long and 1/2 block wide . White , white ,white with both gothic and art deco features . Unfortunately it is being repaired and the interior being redone and we were unable to go in . The construction happening in that area is remarkable .

Our stomachs were in need of lunch so we headed to Rick,s Cafe of movie fame. What a lovely place .The swordfish was really good as well. I also had my first Moroccan beer .I liked it as it didn,t taste too beery. Fortified we headed into the Medina for some serious shopping and gawking . It is a fascinating place a and again we found the people to be pleasant and helpful .

Supper was a true Moroccan TagIne of lamb with prunes and almonds.Walking back to the hotel we came across a street of clubs and bars that were doing a brisk business . The ciy is a cosmopolitan place and it was sometimes hard to believe we were in Africa...

Day3 was time to move to the tour hotel The Moroccan House which was wildly decorated with all things "kasbah". Our room was paint3d 3 shades of green with ample painted motifs and etched scroll work . Parts of the hotel were classic but really felt like we were in a grade b movie set. . Oh well.

We continued exploring the city and at 6pm met our group . We are 8 Canadians,3 Australians ,2 Austrians and one Swiss. A young group of professionals for the most part and a compatible group as well.

Today has been a long day which I shall talk about next time.

Hope all is well . Stay in touch.

Advertisement



19th February 2018

SOUNDS GREAT
THANKS FOR THE UPDATE. SO GLAD TO HEAR ALL IS WELL AND THE PEOPLE WELCOMING. GOOD NEWS. IT'S NOT RENOWNED AS A FRIENDLY PLACE. ENJOY. BE SAFE. LOVE ROGER

Tot: 0.365s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.103s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb