City of Cats...


Advertisement
Morocco's flag
Africa » Morocco » Fès-Boulemane » Fes
May 4th 2013
Published: May 4th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We first saw them last night as we walked to our riad from the gate of the Medina...cats everywhere!

Today, as we stolled the medina and souks, cats prowled the edges of the streets and kittens rolled out under our feet. The Moroccans hold them in affection, it appears...one would sleep in our room in Marrakech, and the restaurant where we ate lunch today had several cats, from an old tomcat to a tiny kitten. There was a sleek grey one that looked like a young Betty. People feed them scraps and most look healthy. We have seen few dogs in Morocco, and only one small puppy today, since dogs are considered unclean by Muslims.

We spent most of the day exploring the Medina of old Fes...and didn't get lost! I was here last about 36 years ago, but don't remember all that much. The tannery was much less colorful than I recalled...We were rarely harrassed by people wanting us to buy things or go to restaurants. One young man did take us to get tea in a riad far from the tourist trail, but that was worth the tip we gave him.

We have moved to another
Dar HafsaDar HafsaDar Hafsa

The building is 600 years old and has belonged to the family for 150 years. It has been a riad for almost two years. The decorative details are amazing!
riad where we will stay until Monday, and are relaxing tonight! Tomorrow we hope to climb to the ruins above the city, buy bus tickets for Monday, visit the Merdersa Bou Inania, and maybe go to a hamman (spa) (Lynn only)...



PS: Forgot to add this to the last blog: the owner of the riad had warned us of a scam on the train to Fes. There are "helpful" men who speak good English and will ask if you need any information. They can be easily ID'd by their lack of luggage. They pose as teachers, or government workers...but are simply trying to get you into a cab to the rug merchant who pays them for the service. Once there, apparently, you are badgered into buying expensive, shoddy rugs. We encountered two, but "escaped" easily wih a no thanks.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

A Merdersa, or "place of learning"A Merdersa, or "place of learning"
A Merdersa, or "place of learning"

This one was built in 1325
DonkeysDonkeys
Donkeys

These are still used throughout Morocco, and especially in the narrow medina streets...
Former palace where the French signed the treaty of FesFormer palace where the French signed the treaty of Fes
Former palace where the French signed the treaty of Fes

which, in 1912, bound Morocco to France.
Bab BoujeloudBab Boujeloud
Bab Boujeloud

The main gate. We ate a late lunch here and people and cat watched...
Riad AhlamRiad Ahlam
Riad Ahlam

Our home for the next two days...we are in small but privat room over looking this courtyard.


5th May 2013

Travels
We are SO enjoying your blogs. Marrakesh reminds us greatly of Istanbul...especially the markets. Your "worst" hike was reminiscent of one that I took outside of Cuernavaca years ago. It was supposed to be a hike up a mountain to see a beautiful view of the valley...but it turned out to be some sort of pilgrimage on Benito Juarez's birthday; zillions of people with no place to put your leg once you've bent your knee for the next step up! Like climbing the Statue of Liberty during tourist season in New York. Valparaiso, Chile had an overabundance of feral dogs underfoot; very scary, especially at night when they banded into packs. Our guide in Turkey took us to a carpet factory AND WE BOUGHT ONE! Very expen$$$$ive but we love it. Great photos! Regards to you both. Best, Carol and Martin

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.043s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb