Fès


Advertisement
Morocco's flag
Africa » Morocco » Fès-Boulemane » Fes
April 5th 2006
Published: May 27th 2006
Edit Blog Post

TanneriesTanneriesTanneries

This is where they dye the famous Fassi leather...by hand...in some pretty nasty concoctions...very cool though...
Fès, oldest of the Imperial Cities. Arrived here from Meknes, and with a little help from my train cabin mates (who made me an honorary Moroccan!) I was able to dodge the craziness at the station and get to my pension, Dalila...

Only one word comes to mind when describing Fès: Insane. The medina has supposedly 9400 twists and turns in its labyrinth style layout, overwhelming to say the least. Life appears in many aspects as I'm sure it did in the middle ages; from the handiworks of the tanneries and the making of silk to the food and carpet merchants seen everywhere. Transportation of goods and materials is still done by donkey and horse (and if you hear "belak" get out of the way, there's a fully laden mule coming and he ain't stopping for you..).

To be honest Fès did me in. The closeness of the streets and alleys and with the constant commotion I finally snapped and had to escape a day early. I was glad I saw and experienced it but the sensory overload proved to be too much...

Some cool pics though! Haha...


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Medina IIMedina II
Medina II

Typical street in the medina...
Espresso!Espresso!
Espresso!

Hanging outside Bab Bou Jeloud, trying to update my journal but unable to form coherent thoughts as I'm stoned on coffee...
Making silkMaking silk
Making silk

Making and dying silk by hand...
MedinaMedina
Medina

Overlooking a portion of the Medina from the tannery...
Minaret!Minaret!
Minaret!

Couldn't get enough of these either...
Medina IIIMedina III
Medina III

This really sums up the medina: narrow street, packed, with a laden horse coming straight at you...love the old guy in the foreground!
Carpets!Carpets!
Carpets!

One of the 566 carpet stores I was in to...
Dinner chez DalilaDinner chez Dalila
Dinner chez Dalila

Having a tagine at the pension...and the only couscous I had the entire month in Morocco!
Medina IVMedina IV
Medina IV

Overlooking the medina...I call this "spot the satellite dish" pic...
Bab Bou JeloudBab Bou Jeloud
Bab Bou Jeloud

Main entrance to the medina, as seen from the inside..
Bab Bou Jeloud IIBab Bou Jeloud II
Bab Bou Jeloud II

...as seen from the outside...
Drying the hides...Drying the hides...
Drying the hides...

...near the Merenid Tombs outside the medina walls...
Merenid TombsMerenid Tombs
Merenid Tombs

Ruins of the Merenid Tombs with the medina in the background...great views from here!
Clueless CanuckClueless Canuck
Clueless Canuck

at the Tombs


Tot: 0.241s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 37; qc: 154; dbt: 0.1808s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb