Day 4 FEZ


Advertisement
Morocco's flag
Africa » Morocco » Fès-Boulemane » Fes
November 8th 2010
Published: November 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Day 4
We started our day with breakfast at the hotel, then headed out on the bus and met up with our tour guide, Mohamed. In Morocco every first born son to a family get names Mohamed....we’ve now met a few. He took us to see the Royal Palace entrance; there are seven doors, one for each day of the week. We walked through the upper class level Jewish section, from the outside they didn't look very special but we were told each would be worth well over a million dollars.

With our guide (thank god for him) we walked through some of the 9000 alley ways in Fez's Medina. A medina is in many of the towns and cities in Morocco; it’s similar to a market for us.
« We saw just about everything for sale, everything from beautiful material, to dates, to olives, to whole uncooked goats heads, to copper made items. We visited a carpet shop....we enjoyed some mint tea while the shop keepers displayed all types of handmade carpets.

We were asked if we were interested in making a purchase, we asked the cost and a 4x6 carpet would be about $1500.00..OMG!! No sale for us.

The morning was full of sights and smells we'd never dreamed of, one including a stop at the tanneries....wow the smell was lovely..mint leaves were given to us all to mask the odour of the leather being cured in cow urine and pigeon poop.....thank god!! I did purchase a pair of camel leather shoes....very comfy!!

Our afternoon was free for us to stroll around Fez. With Melissa and Zelda, we took a horse drawn carriage ride around the city, and you should have seen the looks we were getting from the locals. You know you look very different when people are videoing and taking photos of you. We then all cleaned up and got ready for our night out in Fez.

We went out for a traditional dinner and show, and wine! We sat with Melissa and Zelda and enjoyed the show of belly dancers, magician and local entertainment what fun it was. We should have ended our night there but the four of us went to the hotel bar.
There we met Mohamed our morning guide....he took good care of us all. Was pretty neat to learn about him, a retired law professor who does these tours for fun and to practice his English. All is all we had a great day with very memorable experiences!! Morocco is a very special place!



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



9th November 2010
tanneries

OMG
do they ever fall in? I wonder how deep those are!
9th November 2010
shoes!!

I hope you bought a pair!
What colour do you choose?
9th November 2010
Fez

love the contrast!
I love the contrast of the old building and all the new satellites!
9th November 2010
Our Caridge ride

Bippity Boppity Boo!
Hello Cinderella and Prince Charming!

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0435s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb