Mauritius Isn’t All Just Sandy Beaches


Advertisement
Mauritius' flag
Africa » Mauritius
February 11th 2016
Published: February 11th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Mauritius is a country that can boast of extraordinary natural beauty, with its beaches not being the least of its endowments. However, Mauritius is more than a tourist destination. It has the potential to become a global competitor in the field of science and technology. Mauritius already ranks at the top among sub-Saharan nations in the World Economic Forum’s Global Competitiveness Report and is in a strong position to become a hub for science and technology in Africa. The Mauritian government would do well to invest more in science and technology, and given that it has a relatively young and dynamic workforce, it would certainly be a worthwhile investment.

Private Sector Investment
The private sector should see this as an opportunity to encourage the growth of a skilled and efficient labour force that is prepared to meet the challenges of the current century and compete successfully. Talented young scientists should be given greater opportunities to pursue their field in universities. International businesses should also play a role in making higher education in the science more accessible-to both men and women.

Government Initiatives
The Mauritian government has already created policies aimed at putting the country on a path to technological development. First, they have granted returning scientists a ten year tax holiday for local scientists who return to Mauritius. Also, private companies are mandated to contribute two percent of their annual profits to the country’s overall development goals.

Private Initiatives
The Planet Earth Institute, a non-profit organisation based in Mauritius will aid over 10 000 students in their pursuit of PhD education over the next ten years. The Alliance in Accelerating Excellence For Science in Africa (AESA) is another non profit organisation based in Nairobi, but its reach is across Africa, including Mauritius.The organisation has prominent international support, and aims to not only promote science and technology in Africa but also to promote African scientists on the world stage.
Although it did not originate in Mauritius, there is also the concept of “green banking” as espoused by a financial institution known as “Bank of the Planet” based in Angola. Its focus is on the holistic development of African countries (including Mauritius).

Science the Key to Independence
In the modern era that is driven by scientific technological discoveries and continuous development, it is now more important for governments of developing nations to focus their efforts on building up a “knowledge economy”. Mauritius can certainly do this and the country has already taken steps in the right direction towards this goal.
China and Korea are examples of countries that have reaped the rewards of investing in science and technology. Mauritius and Africa as a whole can enjoy a similar success story if they continue to provide opportunities for aspiring scientists.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0347s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb